Mountain E Bikes

I was just wondering if any of you out there with one nugget hunting.

I myself have been thinking about going that route and if I do I’m going with one that’s folding. I’m planning getting the 20” with 4” fat tires.

I’m open for any suggestions being this will be my first but I’ve had everything else in the past from other two wheel and 4 wheel.

The great thing about 4 wheel you don’t have to remember to put your feet down when you stop . That could be my downfall.

Chuck 

• Like 3

RidgeRunner  look up the Rungu Dualie XR Rubicon Trail Edition no kick stand required . they are pricey also have seen e quads on line .

• Thanks 1

I seem to recall an ex member on here, JW, got into an E bike for access to prospecting locations & did a few posts on it. Maybe do a search.  He & his mate Phrunt did a few missions on them. Phrunt I think was using JW's wives bike from memory & he may be able to make a comment.

I think you will still need a good amount of fitness as an e bike you still have to pedal, the motor just assists & makes it a bit easier. Depends on the steepness of the terrain you will be tackling. If in fairly flattish dessert shouldn't be a problem, but then why would you not just use a quad or motor bike?

D4G

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, dig4gold said:

I seem to recall an ex member on here, JW, got into an E bike for access to prospecting locations & did a few posts on it. Maybe do a search.  He & his mate Phrunt did a few missions on them. Phrunt I think was using JW's wives bike from memory & he may be able to make a comment.

I think you will still need a good amount of fitness as an e bike you still have to pedal, the motor just assists & makes it a bit easier. Depends on the steepness of the terrain you will be tackling. If in fairly flattish dessert shouldn't be a problem, but then why would you not just use a quad or motor bike?

D4G

Most e-bikes now come with throttles that can be used separate from or in conjunction with pedal assist and they are actually pretty responsive/powerful, with no pedaling required even up fairly steep hills. And fat tire e-bikes can handle some tough terrain.  Can't get you everywhere a Quad or conventional motorized trail bike can, but they are lighter/more compact than those vehicles so no toy hauler/pickup bed is required and if it's foldable, you don't even need a vehicle bike rack and they they can be acquired at relatively low cost (between $1K to $2K for the Lektric Bikes Fat tire XP 3.0 or Premium series e-bike with full suspension and mechanical or hydraulic disk brakes). However, if you go heavy on the electric motor pedal assist or throttles, you will have fairly limited range (10 - 20 miles total out and back so 5 to 10 mile radius) unless you get a high capacity battery (which adds a lot of weight) or pack a spare battery (again more weight to deal with). 

If something does go wrong with the e-drive, you do have a pedal power option you don't have with the gas vehicles, but the added weight of e-bikes over conventional bikes means it will be really tough going to pedal or even walk/push uphill or over terrain obstacles you were able to overcome with the e-motor.  Finally, the other thing to consider is that whether you are on an electric bike or conventional motor bike even with good suspension, your body does take some punishment, so you need to be without significant mobility limitations if going on tough terrain and decent cardio-vascular shape should you have to pedal or walk out of a dead battery or breakdown situation.

I have a fat tire e-bike with full suspension (Lektric Bike XP 3.0) and enjoy it on pavement as well as taking it off the beaten path.  It performed well but I also noted that without the throttle assist, there were some terrain situations where the e-bike would be left behind if the battery or motor failed and all I had was unassisted pedal power as there was no way I would be able to pedal or even push or carry the bike out of those uphill or obstacle predicaments.  It's so much heavier than a conventional bike.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I converted my old mtb to an ebike and now use it almost every time I head out detecting. I used a Bafang mid mount conversion kit and 3D printed/lasercut my own battery housing. I live in a town in the middle of the goldfields, so I now only need a car when I head further afield. Even then, I pack the ebike in the tray and use it to get around once I’ve parked the car. It’s awesome! 

IMG_6895.jpeg

• Like 5

Quite a few of us e-bikers out here- RadRover 6 Plus for mine. It’s a fat tire off-road bike.  A buddy also has one that he prospects a lot with.  It works fully with throttle and/or pedal assist. They have a pretty good sale going on right now. 

https://www.radpowerbikes.com

If you do get one of these- PM me. I have a good source for refurbished batteries for them at 1/2 off if you ever need a spare.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

You will need a heavy duty bike rack for your e-bike.  I use a modified Harbor Freight motorcycle rack.

And one other suggestion- consider a step through frame. Especially if you have a short inseam. If you are carrying a detector on your side you will have to step over both to get on or off. But I ended up with a high step and like it a lot- I have 1700 miles on it commuting to work every day since September and for occasional weekend fun rides.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, GoodAmount said:

I converted my old mtb to an ebike and now use it almost every time I head out detecting. I used a Bafang mid mount conversion kit and 3D printed/lasercut my own battery housing. I live in a town in the middle of the goldfields, so I now only need a car when I head further afield. Even then, I pack the ebike in the tray and use it to get around once I’ve parked the car. It’s awesome! 

IMG_6895.jpeg

Nice!  I would have also gone this route had I known about the conversion kits.  What do you recommend? I may do this to our tandem.

I also used a bafang  bbshd kit, from Luna cycle, on a downhill full suspension frame.  When I built it in 2017 the Ebiikes were far and few on the trails, but they seem to have really caught on as they are so fun!!! I also have a fat tire for my wife to use, but it is bouncy and really not enjoyable to ride compared to the downhill mountain bike.

• Like 1

I don't prospect but do get to remote areas with mine. Got a Soul made out of AZ. Top not quality and though most the e bikes use same components it comes down to support. If you call the factory you get someone in the USA that actually works at the factory!!!!! Many companies have a shell outfit and everything is off-shored.

Hauling stuff I heard mid drives are better and act more like regular bikes. Hub drive is what I have with 1000w peak. Going through woods most the time I'm on lowest power setting.

Consider front suspension so you can put saddle bag rack on the back. Bikes with full suspension will limit your options for bags, racks and even trailers. Long rides consider a backup battery. Fat tire ebikes are not fun to ride with a dead battery, one hell of a work out without that assist.

Most bikes ship at class 2, if you have access code to the control box you can fiddle with settings and make it a class3. I set my speed limit back to 35mph as my legs can't peddle much faster.

• Like 5