Button Front?

Found this today in a short afternoon hunt.  There is a crown in the top half and it says London in the bottom half. With a magnifying glass I can see small letters along the top near the rim that say “DOUBLE GILT“.  The back is blank. That makes me think it’s the front of a button. But I have no idea from what or how old. I also don’t know what the pock mark in the middle on the front means.  Any ideas?

Thank you very much!8A54912A-A5FC-4B42-AEBF-AA40F7C414C6.thumb.jpeg.6c468f2fc7cf73a16c9a37be53da727c.jpegD668F7C5-0625-4EDE-ACE1-8E8D590F1BAE.thumb.jpeg.0954f87ab64283937bdf24bfb5ab5fa3.jpeg

• Like 8

That's an older button from England, lots of them weren't soldered all that well, as evidenced by the missing shank. Of course the shank might have been iron, but anomalies arise in the manufacturing process.

Nice button, that would make me happy!

• Like 3

Nice button. Right around 1820, give or take.

• Like 4

Well, that would make it one of the oldest things I have found! This is a new location for me. Since it is a park, I am only using a trowel.  I kept digging down 12-14 inches chasing eighties to low 90s with my D2. Those all ended with a hard pack gravel layer and a big chunk of pop can.  So I figured the whole area had been dozed and I wasn’t going to find anything old. Nothing there in the 1898 topo, but residences in the vicinity.

This was a solid 81 to 82, and was only about 4 inches down.  I couldn’t tell what it was when I found it, and figured it must be new.  But, as with all unknowns it went into my good pouch.  It wasn’t until I got home and started cleaning it up that I had an inkling as to what it might be.  So I guess it must’ve been luck of the draw with how the dozers re-distributed the old soil profile.

• Like 4

That sure looks like a two piece button back to me. Nice find regardless.

• Like 2

Nice find and I am glad that you saved it.

Good luck on your next hunt.

• Like 2

Thank you all! I will have to head back to that park and see if I can pull a little bit more out of the trash.

17 hours ago, Geologyhound said:

Well, that would make it one of the oldest things I have found! This is a new location for me. Since it is a park, I am only using a trowel.  I kept digging down 12-14 inches chasing eighties to low 90s with my D2. Those all ended with a hard pack gravel layer and a big chunk of pop can.  So I figured the whole area had been dozed and I wasn’t going to find anything old. Nothing there in the 1898 topo, but residences in the vicinity.

This was a solid 81 to 82, and was only about 4 inches down.  I couldn’t tell what it was when I found it, and figured it must be new.  But, as with all unknowns it went into my good pouch.  It wasn’t until I got home and started cleaning it up that I had an inkling as to what it might be.  So I guess it must’ve been luck of the draw with how the dozers re-distributed the old soil profile.

It may also have been brought in with top soil. Parks bring in dirt from time to time, to fill areas so that they are level. Looks like a one piece flat button to me. The front is blank, the back of the button is where the double gilt and crown are located. You can even see a small dot in the center where the shank (loop) would have attached.

• Like 5

WTG !

Now you'll have to start a collection .🧐

It's awesome to find out a mystery target is a KEEPER !

There's so much junk out there to compete with a good relic, it has to struggle to be found !

• Like 1

Awesome!  Congrats!  Keep detecting there you never know.  Love buttons my last trip I got several double n treble gilts and even one with a crown on it too (from London).  Excited for you lots of info out there on buttons.

• Like 1