Tom_ca & Cal Do A Road Trip!

Nice finds for both of you.

Tom, although I get the 'dig' about 'pesky' Philadelphia minted coins, it kinda backfired in this case as for some reason (posslbly Civil War related), half dimes (and dimes) of 1863-67 with no mintmark and associated low mintages are way more valuable than their San Francisco (-S) brethren.  In general, though, as far as 2nd half of 19th Century through first 1/3 of 20th Century coins, if I had my choice of hunting Western USA or Eastern USA (but not both) I'd take the Western half.  Well, at least if you guys showed me your garden spots....🙏

• Like 2

20 hours ago, GB_Amateur said:

..., it kinda backfired in this case ....

Yes, there are a few dates where the Philly is actually the better numismatic choice.   Granted.   But all in all, S and CC tends to be the better ones. 

Hey, you gotta allow us some consolation.  You guys east of the Mississippi have Large cents in every sand box, so ... this is our one consolation  😂

9 minutes ago, Tom_in_CA said:

Hey, you gotta allow us some consolation.  You guys east of the Mississippi have Large cents in every sand box, so ... this is our one consolation  😂

Mass produced copper large cents vs. rare -S and -CC minted silver (and gold).  Yeh, we sure got one over you Westerners.  🤔

• Haha 3

On 5/12/2023 at 11:40 PM, Valens Legacy said:

Nice buckle and I am sure that the other finds were also nice to.

Good luck on your next hunt and stay safe out there.

Thanks!

• Like 1

On 5/13/2023 at 9:13 AM, F350Platinum said:

Looking for that buckle brings up Kriegsmarine, a German navy buckle. 🤔 Is there a sub out in that desert? 🤪

Fascinating find in such a place.

That's the most similar hit that came up when I tried to find it too, not sure if it's accurate as I don't think I found one exactly the same, but close.  They were really lost if it's German 🙂 

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Tom Slick said:

Great Buckle Brian! I'm sure you'll find some NV treasures soon (wink - wink). 

I sure hope so Tom!   Need some new detecting ground in NV haha