Manticore I.d. Red Line And Iron

1 hour ago, CoinShooter said:

Hello,

From my experience with the Manticore so far, I have seen on my display both the nice round dot on the center line (potential coin) and smudging towards the bottom of the screen. I found a Mercury dime lying next to a large nail a couple of weeks ago. Both of them were being seen my the machine at the same time.

To dig, or not to dig, that is the question. However, I usually dig 🙂

John

I have dug several silver coins slightly above or below the center line that were not the perfectly round dot. Also there have been even more that are on the the center line that were also a small blob or smudge. When centered over the target these silver coins never had a consistent red line under the I.D. as I circled and hovered over the target. If the red line ever popped up under the I.D. on these it was not consistently there at all.

I swear this has happened several times in places with older iron. The scenario goes something like this. You get a high tone blip during a swing and investigate. You get a good tone and number one way. You turn 90 degrees and it's gone. You the pivot back to the direction you initially heard the target, and now it is either gone completely or a very random blip of a high tone that is not remotely as consistent as it was when it first stopped you. These frustrate me as I feel I am wasting time. I have found the Manticore to have more of these disappearing ghost signals than the Equinox 800. It's AT-HC that produces these the most from what I have seen, but AT-HC to me is best at finding silver versus the other programs.     

• Like 2

The Manticore ID screen will definitely talk you out of digging some signals.  It seems like people with more hours under their belt are pulling back the upper and lower ferrous limits for the reason of letting more signals come in.  They are digging a little more iron junk but they are also reporting digging good stuff they otherwise would have missed with near factory preset ferrous limits.  I figure it's nice to have that feature to be able to set it as you wish. There are some sites I've dug every good quality sounding signal out of that I plan on hunting again with the limits stripped back just to see what comes up. 

• Like 3

@longbow62 What you described is the detector processing the signal with repeated sweeps of the coil.  When you first hit that tricky target the detector sounds off based on it's first quick glance, If you make repeated passes over the target WITHOUT RELEASING it from the influence of the coil, the detector will continue processing/analyzing the target. This could be either processed down to an iron tone or completely out/gone. It can also process up, allowing a good target to come thru as the bad is removed. The more open your settings, the more often you will see this. This is a good thing, thanks to modern tech.  If you release the tricky target from the coil, then hit it again fresh, it starts all over. I'm as impatient as the next fellow and have to remind myself to have some trust and let the detector do it's work. If it holds a high tone it gets dug. Good chance it's non ferrous. 100% chance I will learn a little bit more.

• Like 4