V1.0... I Think I'll Keep It!

3 hours ago, AlwaysCocaCola said:

I hope XP fix it.
Why did they change the silencer and not leave smooth values? There is too much difference between 1 and 2. The old version with value 2 worked much more efficiently.

Yeah, version 1.0 is useless. This is ridiculous, they've been working on it for so many months and it's f… broken.

Major problem .

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Zord said:

Yeah, version 1.0 is useless. This is ridiculous, they've been working on it for so many months and it's f… broken.

Major problem .

I'm certainly not seeing 1.0 as useless and more specifically that the silencer has a "major problem" or that the video has even proven the silencer to be a problem at this stage.   Holding out judgement until I form my own opinions based on real world situations and experience which is going to take hundreds of hours of swing time.  I certainly don't want XP making knee jerk mods to this update because of some nails sitting on top of a coffee cup on someone's desk.

Anyway, simple solution, roll back to your beloved ver 0.71 until the dust settles and monitor whether XP feels a change is needed.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, ColonelDan said:

I was able to confirm my assumption that pull tabs are indeed different in make up so if I wanted to notch them out, I would have to establish the range from 61 - 65.

Your ranges will expand in real conditions. The Deus throws numbers of tabs and gold all over the place. In my location because it is rough, I have lots of tabs missing some metal. These could come in low as 56. Also have had tabs go to 68. One is kidding themselves if they can block out any sort of tabs with the Deus 2 and not miss plenty of gold. 

With the Equinox tabs were a 13-14 for 97% of them, THAT I could live with. The Deus 2 can even come close to this comparison. 

36 minutes ago, midalake said:

Your ranges will expand in real conditions. The Deus throws numbers of tabs and gold all over the place. In my location because it is rough, I have lots of tabs missing some metal. These could come in low as 56. Also have had tabs go to 68. One is kidding themselves if they can block out any sort of tabs with the Deus 2 and not miss plenty of gold. 

With the Equinox tabs were a 13-14 for 97% of them, THAT I could live with. The Deus 2 can even come close to this comparison. 

That's exactly what I want to find out with this new V1.0.  Obviously, I'll dig tabs if that range is too erratic like it was in V.71.  I'm always up to exploring new possibilities when the latest version comes out and was hoping XP tightened up that range a bit in V1.0.  I'll find out next time I get a chance to hit the beach.  😉

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, midalake said:

Anyone can set-up a "gotcha" moment. Your test is not realistic. 

It's not mine.
Just check for yourself, it doesn't have to be the exact configuration. You can use even one elevated iron item.

34 minutes ago, Zord said:

People who perennially play with backyard boxes and desktop coffee cups are great.  But how about some actual detecting and finds...

You swing from one extreme to the other it's hard to take what you say with any seriousness.  One moment you're in "heaven" with the new Ver 1.0 audio, the next moment Ver 1.0 is "useless" because of a desktop test of an arcane expert setting under one specific condition.  You cherry pick video air tests with tailored setups yet ignore real world results here and here.  So which is more "ridiculous"?

Don't get me wrong.  It's good to get the word out there that it appears the silencer behaves differently, perhsps more aggressively, on ver 1.0 - presumably XP's response to the complaints of iron falsing  (which neither of these test videos address, btw).  It doesn't make Ver 1 useless, it just proves the timeless fact of life that if you use a filter to address one issue you may impact performance.  It's called balancing tradeoffs and the informed and savvy detectorist knows when silencer is of benefit and when it is not.  The demonstration of the less aggressive silencer on ver .71 only showed the difference in masking but did not show if the ver 0.71 silencer was effective at mitigating iron falsing, which is it's purpose.  Based on the numerous complaints regarding falsing on ver 0.71, I suspect it was inadequate at what it was designed to mitigate.

Frankly, if you want to be sure a legit target is not masked by a filter setting under an extreme case of iron co-location, then turn the Silencer off.  If falsing is ruining your hunt, turn silencer on and take your chances. It's a detectorists judgment call not a magic wand. Simple.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1