Nalawal

Welcome from East Texas.

You have come to the right place!  Look up Rattlehead’s threads on “My thoughts on the XP Deus 2...” and “My thoughts on the Minelab Manticore...” for a good discussion of both those units. Some of the D2 discussion may be a little dated because the version 1.0 update just came out.

Welcome aboard Nalawal!

Choosing between a 900 , a Manticore or a Deus2 ...Less complicated is not what I'd say to describe those 3  !  But all would be a good choice for someone willing to put in some hours getting to know what any detector is telling you. 

Any questions are going to get answers if you just ask. Even if you think it's stupid....

Those detectors aren't cheap so it's good to find the one that's best for you before you drop all that cash !

My question is ,,,, what are you looking to find , and where do you plan to look ?

• 4 weeks later...

Your post seems a bit contradictory. I would not describe any of the three machines you mentioned as "less complicated". All three of these, should you decide to purchase one, will take quite a bit of time to learn. If one of your goals is to grow into the machine, and you're willing to be patient, you'd be happy with any of them-they are all great, but if you're looking for something simple to start off with, you'd probably be happier with something that you can just turn on and go. I'm sure many on this forum could advise you on that. Whatever you decide, happy hunting and good luck!

All the branded companies have reliable detectors that are capable of locating targets, I think as a beginner you should not worry about choosing a detector as long as it is from a reputable company. What you need to keep in mind as a beginner will be how many hours you can spend researching so that slowly over time you will understand the real needs you will ask for from a tracker and then choose the one that suits your research style .

Finally, I want you to know that the differences between detectors are judged in details that are useful only to very experienced operators.

• Like 1

If you are looking for something simple, I would definitely eliminate the Manticore right off. From what I have seen about this machine, you will need to spend a tremendous amount of time just learning how to set it up. The Manticore is definitely not what I would call a beginner detector. 

I am not really familiar with the other two detectors you listed. But from the sound of things, the learning curve may be just as high as the Manticore. In my opinion, I would be looking more for a detector you can turn on and go. One with the ability to choose where you are hunting so you can push a few buttons before you are ready to begin detecting. 

Welcome aboard Nalawal.  Thats a lot of money to pump into a metal detector.  I would encourage you to talk to your local metal detecting shop first and tell them about what your going to be detecting for in your region.  They just might have some great input to help with your choice.  I personally would think that you would fit better into a Nokta Legend or the new Minelab XTerra Pro at far less than the price tags that you are looking at with the 900, Manticore, or the Deus2.  These suggestions wouldn't cost you as much and all of them are turn on and go machines right out of the box.  As you use their installed programs then you can work on making your own program adjustments to fit better with your soil type in your area.  Some great ideas for  dealers that you could speak with would be Gerrys Metal Detectors, Bart at Big Boy Hobbies, or Rons Detectors.  

Nalawal

Hope you're still with us on D/P.🥸

It sounds like you have been doing a little shopping around already . Asking for advice here is a great research step to take before you actually pick your detector. 

For a turn on and go , simpler the better detector pretty much all of them have factory settings that will get the job done. 

If you know you will never want to go to the dark side of manual settings there are many detectors that fit your needs for much less cash invested.  (Like half or less..you could even choose two for your budget ! A second/backup/buddy detector is common in many detector corrals around these parts. LOL )  The Vanquish and The Legend are a couple examples to check out.. Garrett should be popping out another in that range too.   

If you want to eventually go into the more complicated world of choosing your own settings . The three you mentioned would all be good .

Lots of experience here to tap into. 

One thing that will help us with making better suggestions is more info ,,, Do you plan on doing salt water beaches or any water areas that require submersing the  control pod ? Most coils can handle a dunking though. Only interested in relics or maybe gold ?   Want to leave all options open with a do it all detector?

As has been mentioned research is the key to great finds and unfortunately no detector will do that . They also won't make something appear below their coils either. You have to decide where to put the coil.