What Influences Your New Detector Purchase?

Like the title says, what helps you influence your purchase on a new unit?

When we just had magazines in print, that was about all you got to see for units available and maybe a few field test.

I will look at videos too to hear how a machine sounds etc. But I get my real information from the forums. 

Before I ask questions I look at what people are finding or complaining about with a unit. 

If the good outweighs the bad I will then seek out a forum member who i have dealt with and PM them of they happen to have that model some more specific questions.

So for example when I was swinging nokta makro units before they merged just about everybody was enjoying them and having a blast.

Then the legend hits the scene and people complained about the updates, emi issues, speakers....etc. 

Now it looks like the updates have finally straightened up and people are happy again. 

When you swing by the xp forums at the moment the same thing is happening because some are having a hard time getting it updated.

This kind of stuff has an impact on my decision making. 

The good thing about the issues people have is the reality of the particular unit and what to expect of you decide to update or not. 

So what helps make up some of your minds on units your looking to purchase?

• Like 3

I agree that this Forum in particular, and a few others are very helpful as a source of information. Some other Forums & much on Social Media is lightweight & uninformed. It is like anything else, if you pay attention you can sort the serious from the noise pretty quick.

• Like 5

Just My 2 bits... The most recent purchase I made was the result of a forum thread By Monte... Which led to several YouTube videos... Then back to several forums to learn what I could form other's hands on... and wash... rinse... repeat... I ended up looking at 3 different machines before I Did Not Buy the one I went looking for in the first place... The Hands on Accounts from forum members is what directed me to my purchase... But the YouTube videos were fun too... 

x3.JPG

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, The Pest said:

Just My 2 bits... The most recent purchase I made was the result of a forum thread By Monte... Which led to several YouTube videos... Then back to several forums to learn what I could form other's hands on... and wash... rinse... repeat... I ended up looking at 3 different machines before I Did Not Buy the one I went looking for in the first place... The Hands on Accounts from forum members is what directed me to my purchase... But the YouTube videos were fun too... 

x3.JPG

I do not know if you are aware of it or not but Monte  has passed away and has made that great journey to the detecting field in the promise land. 

I hated to hear that....he could sure tell you his thoughts too on what he preferred and why. 

But people do influence others to change their minds sometimes.

It has happened to me. Just like this legend I have on the way.

If you look at the specs and frequencies between the legend and equinox, they are very similar. Same coil size, previous version legend anyway, just about the same frequencies too. 

I didn't think I would ever get one but after reading so many success stories with forum members on here and the other ones i frequent, who own both the equinox and a legendb, it made me change my mind.  

So I hoped on the wagon finally as well. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, bigtim1973 said:

I do not know if you are aware of it or not but Monte  has passed away and has made that great journey to the detecting field in the promise land. 

I hated to hear that....he could sure tell you his thoughts too on what he preferred and why. 

But people do influence others to change their minds sometimes.

It has happened to me. Just like this legend I have on the way.

If you look at the specs and frequencies between the legend and equinox, they are very similar. Same coil size, previous version legend anyway, just about the same frequencies too. 

I didn't think I would ever get one but after reading so many success stories with forum members on here and the other ones i frequent, who own both the equinox and a legendb, it made me change my mind.  

So I hoped on the wagon finally as well. 

I knew Monte very well From over at Findmall... And he's still everywhere... I can't do a google search for anything detector related... Without one of his post's turning up....☺️  As far as choosing... budget was a factor... being an old school white's guy... This is new territory... And I definitely want to crawl before you run... being able to get other coils reasonably was a factor... And the Hands On accounts... Recommendations... and answers to Questions of forum members really helped solidify my decision... But it most certainly started and ended with the forum...

• Like 3

There are so many options lately and back and forth on different aspects of the new units that i think it best for me to wait a few months more.  I want a glitch free detector that's not a pain to navigate the settings.  Then the money🙄, retiring and a bad knee replacement has me financially embarrassed for a while.  My no.1 pick would be the manticore, then EQ 9 or 700, and then the legend at the moment.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, The Pest said:

x3.JPG

Good choice.

I've had it for just over a month and I'm very happy with the new toy...

Around here, when the colleagues saw it on the beach, another two have already been sold!.

He loves gold like me...

IMG_20230516_205346.jpg

• Like 1

18 hours ago, JCR said:

I agree that this Forum in particular, and a few others are very helpful as a source of information. Some other Forums & much on Social Media is lightweight & uninformed. It is like anything else, if you pay attention you can sort the serious from the noise pretty quick.

D.P. is by far the most 'honest' source of knowledge about detectors. What I mean by that is there doesn't seem to be any bias displayed, members who know more about detectors than I ever will give their expert opinion. That opinion doesn't seem to be affected by the fact that they happen to own a particular detector. I'm not going to name the members that I take notes from because there's just too many.  

• Like 1

My choice is determined by what I am going to use it for. Then look at the views of members on forum have to say particularly this forum

• Like 3

7 hours ago, StarVatrex said:

Good choice.

I've had it for just over a month and I'm very happy with the new toy...

Around here, when the colleagues saw it on the beach, another two have already been sold!.

He loves gold like me...

IMG_20230516_205346.jpg

Casually showing 2 Rings on the display... LOl... The camera angle makes this the perfect Mine Lab advertising back drop... Your picture is desktop wallpaper gold if nothing else...  I don't have much luck with scoops here in West Coast NJ... I think River sand just has too much mud... rocks... and junk... mixed in... I gave up... and just use a shovel... I wish we had your beach...

• Thanks 1