Hunt For Gold In Nevada

Glad you were able to find some glitter under your coil.

Good luck on your next outing and stay safe out there.

• Like 1

Rye Patch seems a difficult place to find gold, I guess it's been hammered over the years.  Those with the latest and greatest technology seem to have an edge but I guess good old fashioned luck and skills play a big role in it too. 

I can imagine I'd be skunked there on every attempt 🙂

Good to hear you had a good time, and 6.8 grams is nothing to be sneezed at.

We've had a mini experience of an area playing out here, quite a small area in a gully, gone over it with each model detector and various coils until it seems impossible to find anything and think no point going back, new detector or coil comes out so it seems worth giving it another try and it livens up again for a while, then it dies out again 🙂 rinse and repeat.

• Like 3

• The title was changed to Hunt For Gold In Nevada

That's Rye Patch! Your experience is similar to my last couple trips. First trip with 6000 was really good. Next two were tough going, not skunked, but fewer nuggets and lots of 0 days. Way to be persistent.

• Like 1

I used the 6000 for all but 1 day due to much up and down steep hillsides ( 7000 for the 1 day). The 6000 is prefect for this type of detecting, light, using just the speaker and no bungee, really good detector. I did send it in to have speaker work done due to advice from this forum and appears to work great, thanks. 

• Like 1

Thanks for taking the time to write up about Rye Patch area from a newer prospector.  Your near 1/4 ozt of gold results are better than most who go there.  Sure the seasoned veterans running the top machine can find more, but we're not the norm.

I still feel the ground is pretty saturated in many spots, but being mid May, it's on the upswing from here.  Still quite a few wet spots fooling the detectors (even the high end ones) and those ears listening for the faint signals.  It's a learning curve everyone goes through and so now you have done it.

The 6.8 grams is actually good, what was the bigger pieces if you don't mind?

The GPZ dumbbell does have those rare advantages, but I prefer the lighter GPX-6000/Axiom myself.

Thanks for sharing.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

For Rye Patch, that's pretty good weight for 8 pieces, if I read you right.  Over in CA, on old patches, its usually sub-gram stuff that was left behind for the 6k to clean up. The detector really likes those dink pieces like point 2 gram can hit pretty good.

Gerry, the 3 larger pieces of gold are, 1.9 and 1.3 grams, another 1.2, all others made up the balance. 

• Like 4