V1.0, So Far So Good

My goal was to see if I could sniff out any high conductors from the iron using General, Full Tones. It has been killer on the mid conductors but the iron falsing in version 7.1 was not amenable to me hearing any high conductors. This site has lots 200- to 300-year-old crusty blobs of iron that have a big halo. Falsing is pretty constant. Anyway, I had hopes that V1.0 would help tame the iron falsing, and it did help. Still had squeaks popping through but it was a noticeable improvement over V7.1. I set the max frequency to 14 kHz as my focus was high conductors. I didn’t find any but that was no surprise at all. This is a small colonial era home site less than a quarter acre in size that has been detected to death.

After having no luck with 14 kHz, I raised the frequency back up to 40. It’s been my experience that the higher frequencies will give you better separation in the iron, but it is also my experience that the higher frequencies will get fooled on iron more than the lower frequencies. Since I had already jacked the Silencer up to 4, I thought I would raise my Disc from 6 to 10 to see if that would help with the falsing. But for the heck of it I lowered the Disc all the way to -6.4 and much to my surprise that helped the falsing quite a bit! I haven’t figured that out yet. I went over the site again and this time around I dug a few buttons, a very small thin cufflink and a few bits of lead and pewter. Most were collocated with iron. Once again, anytime a midtone comes through, even a scratchy one, it is almost always a nonferrous.

This was my first time out with V1.0 and I was happy with its performance. But still a lot to learn. I really like the enhanced Iron Volume and the Silencer is an improvement. I didn’t play with Audio Filter or the FE TID. I think Bottle Cap reject would have helped with the falsing on those blobs of rusty iron. I’ll add that in next time out. I’m really intrigued as to why the negative Disc helped with the falsing ??

Lodge

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for your report, Logde Scent! That's very interesting about using Disc at -6.4 reduces falsing. Maybe try turning FE TID on to see what numbers iron is ringing up as. It could be that running Disc in the middle of the iron range forces higher iron numbers to sound off as falses. I was thinking that higher Disc would force iron numbers to sound off as iron, but what if it's the opposite! 

Unfortunately I'm in the middle of monsoon season and can't get out to test this yet, but you may have just discovered the Holy Grail in dealing with iron! 😉

• Like 1

That’s certainly a strange one.  Hopefully, it’s not a bug like we had early on as described here where with disc set at -6.4, you would get no iron tone (which would be sort of the opposite of what you were describing, Lodge).  Frankly, if the detector is falsing on iron with a TID well above the disc limit (iron tone break) shifting disc up or down a few points should not theoretically make falsing noticeably better or worse.  The main factors should be, as you noted, Silencer and Max F.  BTW note that the max silencer setting is now 7, so maybe increasing it further is what is needed for 40 kHz Max so you can re-invoke disc and at least don’t get non-ferrous tones on all targets.  Will have to play with that one.  The only real way to verify is to find a falsing nail and see if it really stops falsing at -6.4 disc.  Yep that is really odd behavior but sometimes weird behaviors an anomalies show up at the extreme endpoints of parameter settings’ ranges.

• Like 3

Chase to be clear, setting the Disc to -6.4 didn't totally stop the falsing but it did make a noticable difference. I certainly don't understand the interactions of all the settings at this early stage in the game, but this oddity certainly got my attention!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Lodge Scent said:

Chase to be clear, setting the Disc to -6.4 didn't totally stop the falsing but it did make a noticable difference. I certainly don't understand the interactions of all the settings at this early stage in the game, but this oddity certainly got my attention!

To be honest. In .71 a disc. of -6.4 really made iron quiet on the beach too. 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, midalake said:

To be honest. In .71 a disc. of -6.4 really made iron quiet on the beach too. 

Do you mean less falsing or less iron tones? The latter makes sense because at disc -6.4, you lose iron tone/volume, unless you force the next multi tone bin to a low pitch.  On Full Tone (FT), in 0.71, you had no non-iron volume pitch adjustment.  Now, with 1.0, you can adjust the pitch and offset of the 2nd Bin even in FT because XP added tone bin groups.  If you are running Pitch tone at -6.4 disc, everything will sound non-ferrous.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chase Goldman said:

Do you mean less falsing or less iron tones? The latter makes sense because at disc -6.4, you lose iron tone/volume, unless you force the next multi tone bin to a low pitch.

Yes. So I had the lowest bin set to a lower kHz, I think 205kHz. [no pitch] 

I did not run -6.4 a lot. In testing it gave me the appearance that deep targets were muted more. [not crisp]  It did seem to handle black sand conditions better and iron some.
However, those iron targets that wanted to wrap-around still seemed to do that. Since I am using the 9" coil it made me concerned, I might miss some of those muted deep targets and just think they were blips or ticks. One has to watch their swing speed with the 9" coil.

With the new update it would be worth it to investigate this style some more.   

• Thanks 1

Have been using full tones with disc -6.4 since the V4.0 on D1: the Gary’s Hot program. But have been using Gary’s Hot program since D1’s 3.2 with Cold prog. one as well.  With iron falsing I always walk around the signal and sometimes increasing silencer.And this in iron infested sites, with many old big nails.

• Like 2