Screwed Up?

On 5/22/2023 at 1:23 PM, PimentoUK said:

I think a pre-owned Equinox 600/800 would have been a wiser choice. The Xterra Pro is basically an Equinox with the best features removed.
I use a '600 , and find it an excellent all-round machine, though it does have its 'negatives' as you are doubtless aware.

...I disagree.

I have a Nox 800 since 2019 and an X-Terra Pro since the end of March of this year. The Nox has been in the garage for more than a month without leaving...

This came out last storm. Two nights on the beach in a row, it had been a while since I had such a good time.

It shouldn't be that bad...

IMG_20230519_074717.jpg

IMG_20230519_152535.jpg

It's interesting that you've found the XTerra Pro to perform well. It makes me wonder what the "design strategy" for it was. Take an Equinox, and make a stripped-down cheaper version of it.... or make a detector that behaves like the X-Terra range. No doubt either is possible, the microprocessor brains is surely capable of plenty more that what the finished product does.

Well I guess the fact it works so well on the beach and in the salt water for a single frequency detector means they've done more than just offer a switching single frequency detector.  It would be interesting to see with the oscilloscope what's happening there, are it's Beach modes Multi-IQ and they're just not saying so as they don't want to eat into Nox 600 sales as I know which of the two I'd trust in the water the most so for a beach hunter the better choice in that case would certainly be the X-Terra.

BEACH PERFORMANCE

X-TERRA PRO by Minelab dominates at the beach and a dedicated Beach Mode handles the most difficult saltwater conditions.

• Like 1

Multi can ground balance to both wet salt sand and magnetite at the same time. Single frequency can do one or the other. So on low mineral white sand or coral type saltwater beaches single frequency is just fine. Or on fresh water beaches. The more iron sands you have on a saltwater beach however, the more multi will be the much better option.

• Like 4

It could be that they put more design effort into the XTerra Pro's single freq choices than they did on the Equinox. That is to say ... the Equinox single-freq options are a bit basic. Probably because they are not the "main act", Multi-IQ , which no doubt got plenty of development work done on it.
There are doubtless some tricks that can be performed to improve salt beach performance of single-freq machines - the NM Racer machines were generally thought to do unexpectedly well on salt. I recall some technical discussion on the Geotech1 forum: the Racer had a variable-gain pre-amp circuit, that was automatically controlled by the micro, and this enabled it to always run at optimum ( maximum ) gain, regardless of the wet ground signal level.
Such a process can easily be replicated in an Equinox/Vanquish/XTerraPro, as it's pretty much all done in software.
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, PimentoUK said:

... Take an Equinox, and make a stripped-down cheaper version of it.... or make a detector that behaves like the X-Terra range. No doubt either is possible, the microprocessor brains is surely capable of plenty more that what the finished product does.

...I think it's more similar to the 700-900 range than the previous Nox.

Extended scale, VCO audio, ML85 headphones...

Only when you turn it on do you realize that the processor is much faster.

I l want to see the test with the oscilloscope too. Plain and simple, it doesn't work like an SF. I don't believe it, experience tells me it's impossible...

Underwater is amazing!!!

I have also tried it on hard terrain beaches (where my Nox 800 has problems) and it still works just as well. I don't know how they did it...

Far above Nokta's "multi" range. In my opinion.

An excellent starter machine...🤣

IMG_20200119_095117.jpg

• Like 3