Is It Black Gold, I Don't Know This Type Of Miner.

Guys, I come once again to ask for your help. I was on a hunt with my gold monster when I came across a sign for non-ferrous metal, I noticed that the sign was on the stone. I was all happy, if a positive signal is beeping it means it must be gold. More to my surprise, this metal appeared in the middle of the stone, black in color and, at the same time, shining, I confess to you that I don't know what it would be. I put it in the group, they said that it comes with gold, her name is EMATITA. Has anyone come across this type of metal, what is its name, if it has any commercial value.

20230518_162051.thumb.jpg.fa10b202a6de061ec27758e7552c29a9.jpg

20230518_162102.thumb.jpg.8ef12c09bc6182a98c826127f80a1dc5.jpg

20230518_162108.thumb.jpg.af06bbcb058da8e735cdcb86ce1c1b1e.jpg

20230518_162126.thumb.jpg.694b0f0bcf692e27e0ca1c5b9940e168.jpg

If this metal can be called accompanies gold then it means that there must be gold in the vicinity because I've already passed a device and I couldn't find it, only if it's at the bottom.

If anyone has seen this type of stone please tell me what it should be.

Either galena or chalcocite probably. Lead and copper sulfides. Maybe hematite, but less likely. 

Chalcocite can hit quite hard on a VLF detector and sound much like gold.

I've found both occurring in gold areas in the past. Galena and chalcocite should have a faint odor of sulfur if you crush/scrape some of the rock, hematite will not smell of sulfur. If smelling of sulfur, a density test will tell the difference as galena is 7.6g/cc and chalcocite is 5.6g/cc. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, jasong said:

Either galena or chalcocite probably. Lead and copper sulfides.

I concur with your assessment as I have been fooled by the same thing in my area.

Mine turned out to be chalcocite, and I can tell you that it sounded just like gold. 

8 hours ago, jasong said:

Provavelmente galena ou calcocita. Sulfetos de chumbo e cobre. Talvez hematita, mas menos provável. 

Chalcocite pode bater com bastante força em um detector VLF e soar muito parecido com ouro.

Eu encontrei ambos ocorrendo em áreas de ouro no passado. Galena e calcocita devem ter um leve odor de enxofre se você esmagar/raspar um pouco da rocha, a hematita não terá cheiro de enxofre. Se cheirar a enxofre, um teste de densidade dirá a diferença, pois a galena é de 7,6 g/cc e a calcocita é de 5,6 g/cc. 

Friend, thanks for your help, could you tell me where you have this type of material, there may be a larger gold nugget, or just fine gold, because they say that it comes with the gold. Is the gold on the surface of the earth or in a deeper place, 2 to 3 meters below the ground?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Joel - cacadordereliquia said:

Friend, thanks for your help, could you tell me where you have this type of material, there may be a larger gold nugget, or just fine gold, because they say that it comes with the gold. Is the gold on the surface of the earth or in a deeper place, 2 to 3 meters below the ground?

It changes by location/environment. Sometimes the presence of sulfides mean that the gold is also locked up in  the sulfides themselves (and not in nugget form or large enough to be nuggets). But then other times it doesn't - I optioned a mining project to an exploration company where my initial discovery was a large series of stacked quartz veins containing chalcocite, and those same veins also had visible gold in them, a short distance away there was some large pocket gold which was discovered using a metal detector. The bonanza grade gold was all surface or near surface occurrence.

The only way to find out is just to swing the coil over the area and see. 🙂 Doing some sample panning, looking at the ore under a magnifying loupe, maybe cutting a few ore samples to get a fresh face to magnify, these can helpful to know if free gold is showing up or not to begin with.

• Like 3

@jasong - I would have called it magnetite.  Is it a possibility?  He could streak test it.

3 hours ago, GotAU? said:

@jasong - I would have called it magnetite.  Is it a possibility?  He could streak test it.

Quickest test for magnetite is just putting a magnet to it and seeing if it's attracted.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...