My First Year Prospecting For Scotlands Gold

Well worth it. Getting gold.

6 hours ago, John-Edmonton said:

Very nice presentation. I bet many of us followed a similar path. It always starts with a pan, then ends in a pan.

I think that’s probably true John. I wonder, what would be considered a nugget rather than a picker? Is it weight,size or shape?

yup! I’m an amateur and like nothing better than soaking up advice offered by the seasoned prospectors, wether it’s a pointer on where to look on a stream or in the hills. Any advice would be very much appreciated.

cheers

ian

Ian,

If there's any moss or fine root masses in and around your steams, they are great fine gold traps, so check them out if you haven't already!!

There's a reason they call the fine gold catching material in a sluice box "miner's moss"!!!

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Gold Seeker said:

Ian,

If there's any moss or fine root masses in and around your steams, they are great fine gold traps, so check them out if you haven't already!!

There's a reason they call the fine gold catching material in a sluice box "miner's moss"!!!

I haven’t noticed but then again I haven’t been looking gold seeker.

I will take a look the next time I go.  
I know the slopes coming down from the bedrock has thick heather growing in it, but the sides of the stream are covered in grass, which could have moss in it. 
I will let you know next week, and thanks for that advice gold seeker👍

The dirt & gravel in the grass roots by the stream--separate them with water in a large gold pan until you get the roots clean, then pan that gravel.

Also check out some U-Tube videos of underwater sniping with a crevice scraper, hammer & chisel & suction bulb. Probably not much practiced where you are. Of course you'll need a wetsuit, mask & snorkel--for the younger people and the athletic. I've had great finds doing that.

2 hours ago, YubaJ said:

The dirt & gravel in the grass roots by the stream--separate them with water in a large gold pan until you get the roots clean, then pan that gravel.

Also check out some U-Tube videos of underwater sniping with a crevice scraper, hammer & chisel & suction bulb. Probably not much practiced where you are. Of course you'll need a wetsuit, mask & snorkel--for the younger people and the athletic. I've had great finds doing that.

I haven’t seen anyone sniping in person Yubaj, but the odd person does do it, and one of them found a 16g nugget. The biggest nugget in the uk was found in my panning area albeit in the 16th century. That nugget weighed 2lbs. 
I’ve always wanted to try sniping, and when the light is right there’s nothing better than lowering my head to the water surface and staring into the cracks in the rock. It’s like looking into another world. 

• Like 1