Ver 1.0, 1.1, 2.0 Update Consolidated Information - Post Your Unbiased Impressions And Observations Here

• The title was changed to Ver 1.0 Update Consolidated Information - Post Your Unbiased Impressions And Observations Here

I do not know if this is a separate issue from silencer, but I had custom program settings on a spreadsheet and plugged them into V1.0.  The next hunt, the D2 was very silent – too silent.  There was no iron to be heard. I had to increase the iron volume by several notches before I started hearing iron (which was everywhere).  I haven’t had the opportunity to get back out and see if threshold would work properly. Ideally I would like to “hear“ iron as a drop off in the threshold rather than a separate positive tone.  But the threshold used to operate as a series of beating tones rather than a continuous smooth hum. If they fixed that in V 1.0 I will be happier.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Geologyhound said:

I do not know if this is a separate issue from silencer, but I had custom program settings on a spreadsheet and plugged them into V1.0.  The next hunt, the D2 was very silent – too silent.  There was no iron to be heard. I had to increase the iron volume by several notches before I started hearing iron (which was everywhere).  I haven’t had the opportunity to get back out and see if threshold would work properly. Ideally I would like to “hear“ iron as a drop off in the threshold rather than a separate positive tone.  But the threshold used to operate as a series of beating tones rather than a continuous smooth hum. If they fixed that in V 1.0 I will be happier.

The iron volume range was increased from 0 to 5 in ver 0.71 to 0 to 10 in ver. 1.0.  So if you were using an old custom program iron volume setting (e.g., 3 out 5 for ver 0.71), you would have to increase the setting to at least 6 (out of 10) to get an equivalent iron volume level in Ver 1.0.  The Ver 1.0 Factory Preset Program default settings for iron volume have been adjusted up to account for this range change.  

If you want threshold dropouts for iron targets instead of iron volume, you can set up a notch segment that covers all or part of the iron range (say from -6.4 to 8 or -6.4 to 0).  Any target that falls in that notch segment will null the threshold. Using Relic or Gold Field works best for this, but you can use it on any program as long as you invoke Pitch tones audio to activate the threshold.  I have only done this Notch “trick” with Relic mode, so I am not sure how it would work in conjunction with Discrimination based programs such as General  (e.g, if you set Disc at 8 and invoked a Notch from -6.4 to 8 on top of it).

HTH

• Like 1

A few initial observations with only about 10 hours of usage:

• Iron Volume range expanded. I like it because now I can set it to to be able to just barely hear the iron tone. 
  • Silencer setting more is dynamic. Not enough hours with it yet to determine if it is a plus or minus for the type of hunting I do, but it appeared to help with the falsing without losing its unmasking ability at a setting of 2 or 3. 
  • I like that I can now lower the top frequency for any program. That gives me many more options to target certain conductors.
  • I found the iron falsing in Full Tones noticably better in V1.0.
  • It appeared to me that running a negative Disc lessened the iron falsing even more.
  • Like 7

Hi-Square 1.00 vs old Square 0.71 in pitch tone:

- In hi-square more information is now heard in an iron tone. And how deep the nail is in the ground, size, shape, etc.

- In hi-square there is less dynamics and amplitude in the pitch tone. It is more difficult to determine the depth of the target - for this only the speed of the sound response. When digging to the surface, the signal can be even quieter than in the ground, as strong sounds are muted by the algorithm.

- Because of the differences in the first two points, it's a bit more difficult to distinguish between iron-mixed targets and iron-falsing. Now in hi-square we either trust the algorithm and dig everything. Or we listen to how stable the pitch sound is and decide to dig based on its behavior.

- The new pitch hi-square is more comfortable for long time use. You can walk for many hours without feeling discomfort in your ears and brain.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, brys said:

One way signals ,,will audio filter help?

What you mean for one way? I mostly have unstable signal for heavy masked target or probably iron falsing. Audio filter doesn't help in both situations.
But overall it's a very good feature to use in the right conditions.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, brys said:

One way signals ,,will audio filter help?

Right question. Maybe it could help, we have to do empirical evidence and find out..

• Like 2

• The title was changed to Ver 1.0, 1.1, 2.0 Update Consolidated Information - Post Your Unbiased Impressions And Observations Here
  • The topic was pinned