Who Else Has A 'nemesis' Spot?

Well done for conquering your nemesis patch mate.... I know how it is.

My nemesis patch is called “South Australia “.... if you know what I mean.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

I have a spot in a creek where is found a 35g nugget on my first visit. There is no written history of gold specifically in this creek but the surrounding area is gold bearing. Have never managed to find anything else there... 

• Like 4

12 hours ago, Bootscrape said:

Well done for conquering your nemesis patch mate.... I know how it is.

My nemesis patch is called “South Australia “.... if you know what I mean.

Ive found 100's of pieces from SA, but we're talking the 80's and 90's....getting hard there now unless ya got access to private property or wanna travel way up North.

I'm so glad you beat your nemesis, I really do like that little Goldhawk 10x5" coil. 

If JW reads this he'll have a bit of a chuckle as I too had a nemesis and we often talk about it being my nemesis, we would often go to this spot as it's right near his house and he found gold there all the time although mostly very tiny bits but for me it was very elusive, I struggled to find anything, if I was lucky I came home with one or two tiny bits but was skunked more often than not, then one day it happened and much like your event I gave my nemesis a good beating. 

IMG_20200606_160750.thumb.jpg.3c9ed12fca7e9afa6a14bca5ea5a05a8.jpg

The grounds pretty wild though, this was the exact spot that gave up all the goods.

IMG_20200606_171947.thumb.jpg.77627fa06f50945f07a4f11fbec1bfad.jpg

Including this, which is a very big nugget for us around here.

IMG_20200606_211520.thumb.jpg.df5a46f262ad31346682eabde4bccda7.jpg

and the total for the little spot, you can almost see the entire area it all came from in that photo above.

IMG_20200606_211316.thumb.jpg.275ba61f914615140f1a5a98305fa39f.jpg

And the smallest bit of the area.

IMG_20200607_163312.thumb.jpg.2d26bbe96c6a14d31dbdbd8458231379.jpg

I had my Nox along for the ride to try find some tiny bits but didn't end up using it much as it was too troubled by the hot rocks.   This tiny bit was the work of the GPZ and the smallest one from the spot.

Nemesis Conquered!  Although I should add my Nemesis tried to fight back, on the walk out of there I dropped my gold bottle with all 6 grams of gold in it, I realized right when I got back to the car, and it was now dark, so we went back to JW's and got torches and went back to look for it, I thought it was gone forever but JW was confident we would find it.  Turns out I'd dropped it right back at the spot when I was packing up my bag.  I was so annoyed at myself but so happy to have found it.  My nemesis didn't want to give up easily.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

New tech detectors give us these patches, the Z plus X coils CC were shown up by the 6K then along came the Gold Hawk now Xceed which shows there was life in those areas still, but if you`ve been around since the early VLFs then you know nothing has changed except tech advances uncover more continuously. The Electronic Gold rush goes on...... and may it do so for many years.............

• Like 5

Mine are in two well known gold district here in Southern California. So I recently lent my detector to a buddy and he comes back from one of the places with color.  I guess he must’ve fixed my detector because it wasn’t me, right?🤔 

• Haha 2

On 5/25/2023 at 10:13 AM, 1864hatter said:

I have a spot in a creek where is found a 35g nugget on my first visit. There is no written history of gold specifically in this creek but the surrounding area is gold bearing. Have never managed to find anything else there... 

That is very intriguing. I have a mate on the west coast, New Zealand, who went in to an area via helicopter that had no gold history at all. South of Hokitika but north of Haast. He was sworn to secrecy & so couldn't tell me the location.

He had got talking to a guy who said his father was in there years ago deer shooting & found a large gold nugget just sitting in a creek he crossed. He had no interest in gold but picked it up as a keep sake. This guys father had a couple of huts in the bush he stayed in on longer hunting forays. This guy was keen to try & find his fathers huts. I think his father had passed away & it was out of interest to him to find his fathers huts. He had a vague idea of the catchments they were in. This guy had no interest in gold either. My mate found the story of the gold nugget hard to believe as the area of its finding wasn't a known gold area. This guy then produced the nugget to my mate. So he was then quite curious on seeing it. The two decided to helicopter in for a week. My mate to go gold detecting & this guy to find his fathers huts, or remains of.

Long story short. They took a few days to find the right catchment as they had got dropped off in the wrong one. This guy found one of the huts & my mate then wandered on down the creek & found a bit of gold that he described as a LARGE flake of over one ounce. He was using a Gold Bug Pro. He found other large bits of gold & despite doing heaps of panning & sampling he could find no small flood type gold. I found that very strange, as did he.

Your yarn reminded me of that. 

D4G

• Like 2
  • Oh my! 1