First 2 Dirt Hunts...very Promising!

Waiting for the rain to stop so I can get back out there. A couple more pics. As I lifted the plug up, the coin was at the bottom of the plug and dropped into the hole.

Only got fooled a few times by iron.

mantidirta.jpeg

mantidirtb.jpeg

mantidirtd.jpeg

• Like 6

That is some nice digging. Even the bigger iron could have been something interesting.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, JCR said:

That is some nice digging. Even the bigger iron could have been something interesting.

There are a lot of iron targets especially small ones. This is my first time hunting this spot so I'm somewhat cherry picking and trying to find boundaries where better finds might be. 

• Like 1

A couple of hours more produced one more coin and a button. Most everything is deep. Still can't read any dates.

I'm using a recovery speed of 3, sensitivity between 26 to 28, one region all tones.

mantidirt1c.jpeg

mantidirt1b.jpeg

mantidirt1d.jpeg

mantidirt1e.jpeg

• Like 3

I'm jealous. Guess I need to plan a trip to fix that. I've always wanted to find old stuff but never have tried. 

Good hunting. Now you have a few relics to add to your jewelry collection. 🙂

Nice finds!

I found an incised 'dandy' button exactly like the one in your second pic here in southern England - I wonder if they were made in the same place?

A very similar button was found in this area a few years ago: https://www.sussexexpress.co.uk/heritage-and-retro/retro/pictures-from-the-big-dig-in-petworth-park-in-august-2015-which-uncovered-some-exciting-finds-4010584?page=2

1 hour ago, TampaBayBrad said:

I'm jealous. Guess I need to plan a trip to fix that. I've always wanted to find old stuff but never have tried. 

Good hunting. Now you have a few relics to add to your jewelry collection. 🙂

I grew up in NYS and back in the late 70's started metal detecting. So many places had never seen a metal detector and it was wide open hunting. Schools, parks, church grounds, etc. had your pockets bulging with old silver coins! It's not like that anymore. But these new detectors are opening up old hunted out areas again. The place I'm hunting is virgin ground.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, UKD2User said:

Nice finds!

I found an incised 'dandy' button exactly like the one in your second pic here in southern England - I wonder if they were made in the same place?

A very similar button was found in this area a few years ago: https://www.sussexexpress.co.uk/heritage-and-retro/retro/pictures-from-the-big-dig-in-petworth-park-in-august-2015-which-uncovered-some-exciting-finds-4010584?page=2

Thanks for that information! I didn't know they were called Dandy Buttons. I'm researching their history and it's really interesting. No idea where it was made. I guess by measuring it you can get an approximation of its age.

dandy2.jpeg

dandy1.jpeg

• Like 3