Art, Artifact Or Randomly Created

What do you think? Art, artifact or randomly created in the environment. I eyeballed this canoe made of what appears to be ironstone last weekend while highbanking beside a river. I am really fascinated with this find. Native peoples have been in this area for over 10,000 years.

z1.jpg.2258d28dfffae9cd1fee2e185f9a8e7b.jpg

z2.jpg.2764a959fc4f0d3358c9e67c0ea84b24.jpgz3.jpg.0bd223e871d4415fda264e3191714288.jpg

• Like 8

That was hand made from what I see, I don't think that I would be doing to much with it as it looks really close to some museum pieces I had seen in the past.

You may have found something very valuable.

Is the inside of the canoe hollowed out some?

First off good eye and you were smart to grab it and hang on to it.As a lifelong artifact hunter I would have done the very same thing. As to your question about is it an Artifact or Geofact (made by nature) that's a tough call and sometimes it's purely in the eye of the beholder.In my humble opinion without actually seeing it and more particularly handling it I would go out on a limb and say with a great deal of certainty that if it is indeed a Geofact and there were indigenous people in the area you are not the first human to pick it up and wonder the same thing.The hash or scribe marks are very intriguing and could have been added later by someone as an embellishment if it was indeed just a work of nature? Great save John and I hope that you can get some expert opinions about it.

Great find and definitely a keeper.

• 2 weeks later...

Could be a fossil- many are filled in by silica, forming an agate and even opal.  My first impression is it may be a jawbone of a mammal- will look it up in my old paleo books…