Thinking Of Getting A New Detector

Hey ya'll...I have a White's MX7, which I like, but debating on another detector, specifically the Garrett AT Pro. It's supposed to have a fast recovery speed, and my MX7 doesn't. I don't want the AT Max, I don't use headphones, so don't need the wireless, and looking at cost also. I live in an old farm house, with LOTS of iron all around, which is a challenge. I wish I knew someone with an AT Pro, so I could try it in my yard. I have never found any coin older than 1940 here, I wondered if anything older was deep, and masked by iron. Plus, just would like to see how another detector works, compared to my White's. Anyone used both? or can tell me more about the Garrett?

• Like 2

There’s YouTuber’s that still use At pro’s for There Relic / coin hunting ……And there finding a bunch of stuff …….you can get one pretty cheap used ………I used a Mx7 in my city parks for Jewelry and it did good ………Using it around a bunch of Iron,  probably not . ……...good luck 

• Like 1

I had an MX Sport for a good while, which is basically a waterproof MX7. I had a different experience. I thought it was a very fast and deep machine with killer iron performance. An AT Pro will not be a step up from an MX7 as it is even slower and has even less depth. 

• Like 2

I had a A T Pro for a good number of years. Good detector, but not a depth demon and does not have the recovery speed as does most of the smf detectors available today nor is it as good in harsher more mineralized ground. And, there are some smf detectors that sell for the same and less then the A T Pro. Good luck and have fun with whatever you swing. HH Jim Tn

• Like 1

I am a long time, primarily relic detectorist, but I also coin shoot, and beach hunt.  My primary detector is the Deus 2 because of its light weight, versatility, and high speed which enables it to handle iron well and it also does well in hot soil.  I think the D2 is more machine than you need and has a high price point, so I am not recommending it but do provide links to further information below.  

If you want to skip all the detail below let me give you the bottom line up front:

AT Pro is not really going to give you any more depth or separation in iron versus your MX7.  If the AT Pro is your only consideration, I'd stick with the MX7.

If you are interested in a fast detector at a reasonable price point I have two recommendations:

Minelab Xterra Pro - fast with adjustable recovery speed and multiple selectable single frequencies <$300

Nokta Legend - fast with adjustable recovery speed and multiple selectable single frequencies and simultaneous multifrequency, currently <$400

If you want to stick with with made in the USA - Consider the Garrett Ace Apex multifrequency.  Despite the "Ace" vs. "AT" designation, it has some better features and versatility over the AT Pro including selectable frequencies and multi-frequency which may eek out more targets in your situation than your MX7 but is not as good at handling iron or as fast as the previous two detectors I suggest.

If you want to do a deeper dive, read on...

As others have mentioned:

The AT Pro is a classic and despite being first introduced more than 13 years ago, still gets the job done.

But the AT Pro has mediocre recovery speed and is probably not noticeably faster than your MX7 nor is it known for being superior in iron.  If the AT Pro is your one and only alternative to the MX7 that you are considering, I recommend you stick with the MX7 (yes I owned an AT Pro but eventually sold it).

I too owned an MX Sport, your MX7's waterproof sibling.  It had great ground handling and a number of interesting features but at the end of the day, I too was disappointed by its just ok recovery and depth.  Add to that, above average weight and below average balance resulting in overall below-average ergonomics.  Despite being waterproof and having some rudimentary salt balance capabilities, it was still not very stable in wet salt sand, requiring significant lowering of sensitivity for stable salt beach performance.  I am not listing all of this to dump on Whites or the MX series (I still own the classic White's classic relic machine - an MXT) but to provide a frame of reference as to why I eventually sold my MX Sport and moved on to a more modern simultaneous multifrequency machine. Specifically, the Equinox 800.

Simultaneous multifrequency provides some advantages associated with ground and salt handling, and also enables more versatility in going after targets because the multifrequency capability evens up the "playing field", eliminating the tendency of single frequency machines to favor either higher or lower conductivity targets as lower frequencies tend to favor higher conductive and large targets like silver or coin caches while higher frequencies tend to favor smaller targets or lower conductivity targets like gold jewelry, nickels, and brass.  The key with these features is versatility.  The recovery speed, decent target identification, good discrimination and ground handling features makes them great at picking through iron.

Since the MX7 and AT Pro/AT Max have hit the streets, there have been a number of multifrequency and also capable single frequency detectors that not only have equivalent features but are also lighter, cheaper, and faster with great user interface features and multiple audio options.   i suggest considering these detectors in addition to the AT Pro for their speed and iron handling capabilities.  If you are interested in exploring these detectors further, I have broken them down for you and for others who may be interested.  I recognize that you will not be using your detector at the beach but note when these are fully submersible primarily to show you they can be operated in the rain.

The Detector Prospector Metal Detector Database pages provide detailed information on several detectors released over the past several years.

The following breakdown of relatively recent design detectors with significant versatility, performance, and features versus your MX7 (all have built-in wireless audio capability but also speakers) can be explored further by clicking on the detector name links that will take you to the DP Detector Database writeup:

Nokta Simplex - Fully Submersible, Single Frequency Machine <$300

Minelab Xterra Pro - Fully Submersible with multiple selectable single frequencies and variable recovery speed settings.  Relatively new, but if you want an inexpensive, fast machine with adjustable recovery speed and 3 selectable frequencies, this is a great choice. <$300

Nokta Legend - Fully Submersible Simultaneous Multifrequency Machine and Multiple Selectable Frequencies, has adjustable recovery speed, multiple default search modes set up for park, beach, relic, and gold detecting.  Features on par with the Equinox detectos at an amazing price <$400

(Note, first generation design of the Legend is going for~$388 as they start to introduce a lighter weight carbon fiber shaft system which will probably be greater that $400) 

Garrett Ace Apex - Lightweight, weatherproof Multifrequency Machine with Multiple Selectable Frequencies <$500  Not known for being superior in iron however.

Greater than $500 - All of these machines have great iron handling capabilities.

Minelab Equinox 600/800 - These fully submersible simultaneous frequency and selectable single frequency detectors have been here for more that 5 years now, were groundbrekaing in terms of but still perform.  Their price is coming down with the release of the Minelab 700/900 below.  

Minelab Equinox 700/900 - Update of the popular Equinox 600/800.

XP Deus and XP Orx - Fully wireless with multiple selectable frequencies and high recovery speed that is adjustable.  Super light weight.

Greater than $1000 - XP machines are know for their best in class iron handling performance.

XP Deus 2 and Minelab Manticore

HTH and Good Luck and Happy Hunting with whatever machine you finally end up with.

• Like 7

On 5/26/2023 at 8:28 AM, Diggin' It said:

Thanks ya'll... Didn't even know they made multi frequency detectors. The Equinox 600 is within my price range, found one on Amazon with two coils, for $600. Still doing more research, and comparisons.

That's a great choice and a pretty good deal.  You're on the right track.  Don't rush it.  The 600's are a pretty good choice value wise with the more expensive 700's on the market now, so keep searching a little more before you pull the trigger and you might find an even better deal.  The 600 has a few less features than Legend but has a nice clean interface and frankly all the essential features you need to have decent upgrade over your MX7.  Good luck.

• Like 1

I love the old AT Pro.  For whatever reason, I end up grabbing it over the CTX and other more capable, but more complicated, detectors.  It's just a comfort thing I guess.  After a lot of years with it, I can really understand the tones and what they're telling me.  I've found silver dimes in the iron with it and the 5x8 coil.  The durability is great and being waterproof is a must for me.  

With all of that being said, if I was just starting out fresh with no equipment and looking for my first detector in today's market, I would certainly go for a multifrequency unit over the AT Pro without a doubt.  Technology has moved past it and there are more capable detectors for the same price today. 

The one thing I would check before buying anything is the availability of aftermarket coils.  I have the Nel Attack for the AT Pro and the depth is very impressive.  I would make sure that whatever machine you get there are options for a very large coil and a very small coil.

Good luck!

• Like 2

I have the Equinox 600 and just received a 900 and the 600 has been a great detector. I mainly hunt for old coins and in some pretty nasty spots and the 600 had me shaking my head with some of the recoveries I made. 1 such was a 1790 half Reale with a rusty screw in the same hole. SMF is the way to go! HH Jim Tn

• Like 2

I have the Equinox 800 and it is a great machine, I also know that the 600 is also an excellent choice.

The 800 is waterproof where the 600 is not, so think about where you are going to use the detector the most.

Good luck on your choice and good hunting.

• Like 2