River Too High, So, I Shifted Gears And Used My Tiny River Sluice

I love it, great pictures!! (Maybe put both the itty bitty & mini LeTrap in a row with one feeding into the other.) I have both the plastic single wide with an adjustable leg stand and also the double wide plastic Kreeger Sluice (made in the state of California), it only requires 1/2” inch classified screening. With the >>removable plastic header<< it can be used with ‘either’ an electric bilge pump “or” in the river stream.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Beany said:

I love it, great pictures!! (Maybe put both the itty bitty & mini LeTrap in a row with one feeding into the other.) I have both the plastic single wide with an adjustable leg stand and also the double wide plastic Kreeger Sluice (made in the state of California), it only requires 1/2” inch classified screening. With the >>removable plastic header<< it can be used with ‘either’ an electric bilge pump “or” in the river stream.

That would be cool. Could even add the California, which would make it three. I checked out the Kreeger models. Very nice drop riffle design. People are starting to realize that drop riffle designs, when set up properly work really well. They didn't have any drop riffle designs 30+ years ago, other then the Le'Trap. I was too busy raising a family and money was tight back then.

• Like 2

Very nice days reward on the gold, and I am glad that you had another place to sluice.

Good luck on your next hunt.

Grandfather used to use a couple of burlap sacks  with some weights to catch some gold when the water was to high. He said that the water moved faster and would also move some of the gold when things got high. When the water went down some we could pull the sacks out of the water and sure enough there was some gold in them.

We kept the sacks close to the banks and held in a position with some nylon cords.

I would like to know if you had ever tried that method and if so did you catch anything.

• Like 3

I thought my goldsax sluice was small til I seen this. I wonder if there’s a telescopic sluice on the market. Unless there is something fundamentally wrong in a telescopic sluice design. Even an accordion design where it could just be stretched out. 
I mean does a sluice have to be rigid, couldn’t it be soft, sort of like a spring. 
anyway I like your set up John👍🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🇺🇸🥃

7 hours ago, Valens Legacy said:

Very nice days reward on the gold, and I am glad that you had another place to sluice.

Good luck on your next hunt.

Grandfather used to use a couple of burlap sacks  with some weights to catch some gold when the water was to high. He said that the water moved faster and would also move some of the gold when things got high. When the water went down some we could pull the sacks out of the water and sure enough there was some gold in them.

We kept the sacks close to the banks and held in a position with some nylon cords.

I would like to know if you had ever tried that method and if so did you catch anything.

I haven't even heard of people laying out burlap sacks directly in the river. Makes sense. I am sure it would work in my locations.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, John-Edmonton said:

I haven't even heard of people laying out burlap sacks directly in the river.

My grandfather told me once that his grandfather taught him to do it when he was a kid.

The trick he said was to place one sack inside another sack, then weight it down to hug the side of the bank to catch what flows through it. I have seen him pick up almost a 1/4 ounce like that before. That was with 5 or 6 sacks tied up while we worked some place else.

It won't hurt to try it and when you see some gold in the sack you can learn how to set it in the water.

How's this for a tiny sluice?  12" long and 3" wide.  $18 on Amazon.

71BmaIUmFBL._AC_SX679_.jpg

• Like 1