Garrett Axiom Vs Minelab 6000

I think Steve summed it up nicely. You should have your answer, Mitchel.

GC

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, dig4gold said:

Yes. One of each.. 😂

D4G

You are right, best way to compare them. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I would say it depends on your needs, which is better in hot rocks for example.

The Axiom also doesn't have any aftermarket coils on the market yet to determine if they provide anything to it like the aftermarket coils for the 6000 have.  With time that will change.

There is always the fact you might need the Axiom while you're waiting for your 6000 or it's coil at the service agent every few months..  🙂

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

28 minutes ago, phrunt said:

The Axiom also doesn't have any aftermarket coils on the market yet to determine if they provide anything to it like the aftermarket coils for the 6000 have.  With time that will change.

I'm sure this has been asked before...will the older GPX series coils work on an Axiom???   

Different connection perhaps?  If the connection was changed would they work?  Has anyone tried?  

EDIT: an afterthought.  Are the coil ears/end of the Axiom shaft too different?  Could make an adapter?  

2 minutes ago, Northeast said:

I'm sure this has been asked before...will the older GPX series coils work on an Axiom???   

Different connection perhaps?  If the connection was changed would they work?  Has anyone tried?  

EDIT: an afterthought.  Are the coil ears/end of the Axiom shaft too different?  Could make an adapter?  

I've been told GPX coils won't work unfortunately, it's not to do with the plug end.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, phrunt said:

I've been told GPX coils won't work unfortunately,

Mmmmm, bugger!! 🤔

Start of another nice patch of small tiny nugglets with the new 6000, seems to be going good, but have not tried the Axiom 

350377774_1407217340132868_3051225642121573869_n.thumb.jpg.5c34b30d4f71f8cb64188692b3fe771f.jpg

20230601_120533.thumb.jpg.042a4d8cb897976c522dc22b77ddcb0f.jpg

cheers dave

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Things like ground and EMI handling can make all the difference in some places. Also, the 6000 suffers from auto adjustments in an opaque way that makes it impossible to tell if it's adjusted down or failed to adjust sensitivity back up, and this in my experience has caused a number of instances I've missed what should have been some very easy targets. I have no idea if the Axiom does this auto adjusting too, but to me it's a deal breaker in a machine the way the 6000 does it after I've used it and understood it more.

If I was choosing between the two right now I'd personally try an Axiom just to see for myself. I personally feel the 6000 is a subpar detector for both EMI and opaque auto adjustments, it does ok with ground but I suspect based on reports the Axiom does better. For weekend detecting or working small areas it probably makes no difference though. Where it makes a difference is covering 50 square miles of land and then wondering at night if you need to go redetect weeks worth of work because you can't trust if the detector was running right or not, that's incredibly annoying. 

If it didn't seem like the next GPZ had to be on the horizon I'd try an Axiom just to see how it does in field and experiments. Been tempted numerously to buy one just to see then inevitably figure the 6000 will be good enough until the GPZ. Too expensive for an experiment at this point it seems, as I'd rather replace the 6000 with a light weight GPZ if such an option presents itself, which at this point may or may not even happen and is looking less likely, who knows...

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• The title was changed to Garrett Axiom Vs Minelab 6000