Garrett Axiom Vs Minelab 6000

7 hours ago, afreakofnature said:

We all know that Steve has run both detectors extensively. I would go with the advice that he gave.  I have not read Lunk‘s article yet, sorry amigo 😉 , but whatever he has to say, I would go with that as well.

AFN you have nailed it, the edge the 6K has over the Axiom, from my hours behind both, is what ML call Geo Sense when running in one of the Autos. If you cannot handle the Autos on the 6K you are probably better off with the Axiom but don`t start using the Axiom on full sensitivity go no higher than 3 until you have some hours on the clock. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 6/1/2023 at 6:43 AM, GotAU? said:

OK I’ll bite, what about that piece of string?
Is it which end is longer?

GAU, Aye between the 6K and the Axiom choosing depends on the users experience, capability and ground which will suit them best, thus "the piece of string". If what one of us do well with cannot be assumed to be so for all. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Which is best?  Heck man that's an open end question.

Best at value?

Best at Ergonomics?

Best at Discrimination?

Best at coil options?

Best at durability and least amount of issues?

Best at Relic Hunting?

Best at small gold?

Best at Big Gold?

Best at User Friendly?

I own both and have posted much gold found with both in times past.

For a 50% more price increase of the GPX-6000 in the USA $6000 vs $4000 for the Axiom, what is best?  I don't see the average person needing to spend the extra $2000 and in fact I would recommend that person get a good VLF to complement the PI.

As I said, I own both and for now, plan on keeping both.  But I use them as tools and can afford both.

I'll be in the field soon and hopefully find some gold this year.

So far my best piece is a small chunky specimen with the Equinox 900

1stNug20233.jpg

1stNug20231.jpg

1stNug.jpg

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, phrunt said:

I guess what could explain what you're seeing is if with the 17' coil being larger they didn't need to do the semi spiral windings and were able to lay them out completely flat now as a full spiral coil not in layers on top of each other like the 11".  This would likely give the sensitivity increase that you're experiencing that allows it to somewhat keep up with the 11" coil.

Good point, this could indeed explain it. Would love to see that X-ray.

GC

• Like 1

Just took the Axiom out last weekend for the 1st time due to weather 1st then 2 medical issues next. I am interested also but I am NOT a good source of info for that due to lack of experience with the Axiom. In my other post (rough roads due to rain) I mentioned that a 6000 user had found 16 nuggets over 3 days in the same "undercut" road. So Ken..last name NOT mentioned, please respond to this topic so we can ALL get a better idea of capabilities of the 2 machines. Did you find ALL of the nuggets with your 6000 or did you get "help" with a Gold Big or some such also? You found some nuggets SO SMALL they would give my EQ800 a 'run- for-it's'-money'! When I took instruction with Gerry at his class at Rye Patch with the EQ800 we had a contest to see who could find the smallest nugget and wow can the EQ find small stuff! Ken's nuggets rivaled those small nuggets...if in fact he found them all with his 6000 and did NOT also use another detector like a VLF . So Ken, please chime in on how you managed to do so well with your 6000 and some "tips" .

Myself...I need some help as I am sure I must be running sensitivity too high on the Axiom and am NOT getting the most out of it although I DID find a nice size nugget fairly deep that Ken missed. A pat on the back for me!

• Like 1

On 6/2/2023 at 6:42 AM, dig4gold said:

Hi Davsgold. Is that a patch you hadn't had an X coil over on the GPZ 7000? Thanks.

D4G

we certainly have had x-coils in the vicinity and close to this spot, whether or not exactly over it I can't be sure, but there were some detector holes from last year in and around this spot, not sure if they were ours or not though,

cheers dave 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Guess I'm lucky because it's not an either-or choice for me. My detecting partner is my wife and we run both. If I had to choose one, it would be the 6000, but it is definitely close and I don't feel disadvantaged when Sally is running the 6000 and I'm on the Axiom. I like the A in hot ground and love the ergonomics. Have found small gold in beat-up club claims at Quartzsite with both and prefer the Axiom in hot rock settings.

If I was on a tight budget I'd go Axiom because I think it's more versatile out of the box. I agree that running in 3 or 4 on the A is best for learning the machine.

Like many of you, I had to get the fix on the 6000 and also prefer the CoilTek 10 x5 on the 6000 over the stock 11, but it is really a case of getting to know your tools and using the right one for the situation.

Lots of good advice on this thread. Having been in the field with Gerry and Lunk, I trust their advise. Would still be looking for the first nugget without their advice and training.

Mike

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

On 6/3/2023 at 8:38 AM, Gerry in Idaho said:

For a 50% more price increase of the GPX-6000 in the USA $6000 vs $4000 for the Axiom, what is best?  I don't see the average person needing to spend the extra $2000 and in fact I would recommend that person get a good VLF to complement the PI.

Different pricing story in Australia - Axiom retails for $7385 AUD and the GPX6000 retails for $8000 AUD - so the GPX6000 is only $600 AUD ($360 US) more - not a very significant $2000 US difference.

I am guessing that Minelab set the GPX6000 US price first  in  2021 at $6000 US , then used the exchange rate at the time ($0.75) to arrive at the Australian price of $8000 AUD.

So the big question for Minelab is do they change the price in the US to get closer to the Axiom? If you take the Australian price of $8000 AUD and covert to US (using current AUD $0.60 exchange rate) you get a price of $4800 US - still $800 US more but a big reduction on the current $2000 US price difference. This would generate more sales but would the increase unit sales volume generate more gross margin dollars than they are currently making ? - that is what Minelab would be pondering.  They would also have to take into account other Minelab gold machines (how they compare price wise) & any new products on the planning board.

• Like 2

I wonder what ML's boxed and ready to ship from Malaysia price is with that exchange rate of what they pay?  They don't really have to take delivery of all of the product in Australia, do they?

• Like 1