Garrett Axiom Vs Minelab 6000

The Axiom is sitting there with nothing more than standard coils at the moment, where as the 6000 has a few after market options, that should soon change in the Axiom's favour. 

While I haven't used the Axiom I have the 6000 and find it a nice detector now they've sorted out a bulk of the problems with it and there is no doubt it has some heavy discounting on it at the moment.   If buying one new I'd be ensuring it's a new build and not an older one that's been hanging around in the warehouse or on the dealers shelf, not only have the coils been improved on newer ones with their cracking plastic but they've also got the audio EMI problem resolved, and who knows what else in the background, such as the high failure rate of the stability of coils on earlier builds, no one knows if that's improved but it possibly has.

At the moment I'm guessing most will reply to get a 6000, in 12 months time that could change if the aftermarket come through with some excellent Axiom coil choices.

• Like 3

Found many ozs with the 6000, are on the way to doing so with the Axiom. I can only say either will be AOK if you master, the 6000s an auto machine, the Axiom a manual machine thus the 6000 is easier for a newchum to master or someone that prefers auto, but if you like manual control, no chipped coils go the Axiom. 

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Norvic said:

Found many ozs with the 6000, are on the way to doing so with the Axiom. I can only say either will be AOK if you master, the 6000s an auto machine, the Axiom a manual machine thus the 6000 is easier for a newchum to master or someone that prefers auto, but if you like manual control, no chipped coils go the Axiom. 

Im at 7oz with the 6000 now and although its a great machine, capable of finding gold on old ground quite easily, I miss the user-variability of the earlier GPX's. I hate the lack of threshold control and manual frequency tuning mostly....  The 6000 is a beginner friendly (or oriented) machine and absolutely needs aftermarket coils to get the full experience. The Axiom is slightly less sensitive but has all the variability that professional or serious operators demand.

• Like 4

I own neither. But, as I am in the market for either one I am leaning towards the Axiom simply for the fact it has discrimination. I don't use it often but for when I find a good area of tailings piles it can make all the difference in the world to me. If the 6000 had discrimination I would probably jump on it. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ChuckScrivener said:

I own neither. But, as I am in the market for either one I am leaning towards the Axiom simply for the fact it has discrimination.

Yep, and more controls without having too many controls.  

If I had neither and I had to make a choice and they were around the same price then I think I'd be choosing the Axiom. 

• Like 2

GPX 6000 for Goldmonster control type simplicity and Axiom for users wanting to adjust settings further for more challenging grounds. Axiom also for use in more surface iron infested grounds using DD discrimination. One year more warranty on 6000 though.

• Like 5

• The title was changed to Garrett Axiom Vs Minelab 6000