Hello,

first of all I've to say that english is not my native language, so please be kind, if my words don't hit the right expression...

To the topic:

I'm from germany and at the end of the year I'm going to receive my license to go detecting on a field. By now I own the Tianxun TX-850  (Teknetics G2 plus Clone) witch  should be good for the price. Till now I could only use the detector on the beach, where no license is necessary. 

I wonder if it's worth investing money in the Legend? I will mainly go hunting on fields ( Fibeln, Coins,...). 

I know the the Legend has multifrequence feature, but I don't really know if it's really a game change or just a hype.

Maybe one of you own both detectors an give some advice regarding detection depth, sensitivity for small parts and so on...

Best regards from germany 

I had one of the fisher gold bug clones before. It is similar to the clone you have of the g2. 

Yes, the legend is a better metal detector.

It is better made, the screen is nice and you have many more settings to adjust. 

It handles emi better and it is a very smooth and quiet running unit. 

It will do better at the beach too for you being a multi frequency unit. 

So what all do you have to do to get a permit for metal detecting inland and how much will it cost you?

Why do you have to wait so long before you get the permit?

• Like 2

5 hours ago, GermanGuy said:

Hello,

first of all I've to say that english is not my native language, so please be kind, if my words don't hit the right expression...

To the topic:

I'm from germany and at the end of the year I'm going to receive my license to go detecting on a field. By now I own the Tianxun TX-850  (Teknetics G2 plus Clone) witch  should be good for the price. Till now I could only use the detector on the beach, where no license is necessary. 

I wonder if it's worth investing money in the Legend? I will mainly go hunting on fields ( Fibeln, Coins,...). 

I know the the Legend has multifrequence feature, but I don't really know if it's really a game change or just a hype.

Maybe one of you own both detectors an give some advice regarding detection depth, sensitivity for small parts and so on...

Best regards from germany 

I am a long-time big fan of the Fisher F19, Gold Bug Pro, Teknetics G2+ line of detectors. I have never used the clone of those detectors that you have.

I have owned simultaneously a Fisher F19/Teknetics G2+ and the Legend. If I set my Legend on 20 kHz, one of its 5 selectable single frequency settings, and use its 3 tone Park or Field modes, I will get very similar performance as the F19/G2+ using its 3 tone discrimination mode. I still have four other selectable single frequency settings and three other multi frequency settings to choose from in those two modes however. 

I can put the Legend it its Park and Field modes or its Prospecting mode using Pitch tones set on 20 kHz and it will simply out perform the F19/G2+ where I detect. That performance difference gets even bigger using the other selectable single frequencies or especially the simultaneous multi frequency settings.

As BigTim said and I know this from experience, the Legend using its Beach modes far outperforms an F19/G2+ on saltwater dry sand, wet sand and of course submerged since it is fully waterproof.

• Like 3

I assume clone means Chinees knock off?

2 hours ago, bigtim1973 said:

I had one of the fisher gold bug clones before. It is similar to the clone you have of the g2. 

Yes, the legend is a better metal detector.

It is better made, the screen is nice and you have many more settings to adjust. 

It handles emi better and it is a very smooth and quiet running unit. 

It will do better at the beach too for you being a multi frequency unit. 

So what all do you have to do to get a permit for metal detecting inland and how much will it cost you?

Why do you have to wait so long before you get the permit?

I have to do two lessons,  one practical and one theoretical lesson, which are supervised by an archaeologist. When it's done I can talk to my archaeologist from my town to permit the permission.

• Like 1

Thank you all for your feedback. I already noticed that the TX-850 don't work so well in the wet beach area.

For me it's important that I really get a noticable performance upgrade if switch to the Legend. The new Legend cost here in germany 599€ and for my TX-850 I paid 130€.

I don't want to spend so much money, if only get a small performance upgrade.

Best regards 

I recently acquired a fake Gold Bug Pro clone to test against my real ones that someone was selling for a VERY cheap price, the coil it comes with seems to be subpar so it's quite possible your TX 850 also has a coil that isn't quite performing how it should hindering performance, the detector worked much better with a genuine coil or an aftermarket coil from Nel.

Even vs a genuine Gold Bug Pro / G2 type detector I would say the Legend is a reasonable step up in performance, and on the beach the Legend will do better, but in a field situation it's difficult as it comes down to soil minerals more than anything, the G2 is a good detector for that type of thing especially in milder soils and it's very quick with it's recovery speed so pulling good stuff out of some trash isn't all that difficult for it and with the price you're talking about would you benefit that much money by having the Legend? Would you get value out of the big price difference, that's for you to decide but the Legend is better, it may not find you that much your G2 clone will miss especially if you are in milder soils.  Maybe give this field a try with the current detector and if it's a productive field and you think you maybe missing stuff then it might be worth the investment for the Legend.

• Like 3

Thanks for your feedback. 

I already thought in this direction too, but the point is how will I recognize, that I'm missing targets? 

I would love to see an one on one test with both detectors on the same targets to have hard facts.

Best regards