Nox 900 Spreadsheet For Targets Out Yet?

Has anyone found or created a target spreadsheet for the Nox 900? Curious as to what the target ID numbers are showing when it comes to U.S. coins and civil war relics.

Would you be willing to share with the rest of the world? More specifically, us on this awesome forum 🙂

Thanks,

John

• Like 2

Do you have an Equinox 900? If so, you could share your findings with us too.

I am reluctant to share mine so far since the target IDs are so unstable on some US coins like clad dimes, silver dimes and copper pennies. I still don’t have anywhere near a complete picture yet.  I am hoping that Minelab will offer some kind of target ID stability update soon.

US modern nickels have been between 23 and 29 so far with no consistent numbers yet and I have dug at least 50 nickels so far with the 900.

I have recovered over 100 clad dimes and more than 100 copper Memorial and Wheat pennies so far. Their numbers have been between 68 and 98 depending on whether they are deeper than about 4” here in moderate to high iron mineralization.

US quarters have been between 86 and 95 so far.

So no, I can’t offer much definitive help for US coin target ID numbers or for common US relics.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Hello Jeff,

I do have an Equinox 900 but just got it the other day. It's so new the coil hasn't touched the ground yet. However, that will change after today 🙂

I hate to hear that the coins IDs are so unstable. Thanks for the heads up on what I can expect though.

I normally dig by sound, but like the ID numbers as a reference so I'll be seeing on whether they jump around in my soil.

Happy hunting!

John

• Like 1

On a side note, I have been using my Manticore for the past few months. There was a learning curve to it (as always) but I am finding a lot of silver coins with it. I am hoping the Nox 900 provides the same results.

John

• Like 1

I like to hunt by sound too and then look at the numbers if a target's sound interests me.

Just due to where I live (fairly big US city) public park and public school coin and jewelry hunting areas are the easiest to get to, don't require a lot of gas, don't cost me anything to visit and pay off instantly with US clad even if I don't find any decent jewelry.

In the past, I used the Equinox 800 5 tone audio to help me quickly identify target conductivity. So basically I was cherry picking by audio first and making a dig decision based on that, size of the target, depth and the stability of the IDs. That strategy worked great even though I would get sloppy and skip over 13/14 target IDs that were likely modern oval pull tabs but could have also been nickels or gold jewelry.

The Equinox 900 has made digging nickels a lot easier since there are less pull tabs that have the same target ID numbers as US nickels due to the expanded target ID range. The only regularly occurring aluminum target that I have often seen mimic a US nickel so far are beaver tails that have been separated from their ring pull.

However, with the much expanded target ID range of the 700/900 and the much expanded range of target IDs on US coins and common aluminum trash along with the tendency of my 900 (I have had two) to double and triple beep on down to 4" deep coin sized targets like they were on the surface, I can't yet trust the audio on my 900. I am making good quality US modern and older coin finds and plenty of them so it's not like I am not having success with the 900. I just want to get a good feeling about this detector. Currently, I haven't come close to that yet.

Hopefully that will change with an ID stability software tweak and with me getting more time with this otherwise outstanding detector. 

1 hour ago, CoinShooter said:

On a side note, I have been using my Manticore for the past few months. There was a learning curve to it (as always) but I am finding a lot of silver coins with it. I am hoping the Nox 900 provides the same results.

John

I’m curious. If you were having success with the Manticore, what was it about the 900 that motivated you to pick one up?  In other words, what were you hoping the 900 could do that the Manticore can’t?  Or were you just looking to have a capable, less expensive backup to the M-core? Or was it the fact that you could use your Nox 800 accessory coils? Thanks.

• Like 1

Hey Chase,

Yes, I have been having great success with the Manticore. So much in fact that I wrote a story on it and Minelab picked it up. As a nice reward, they sent me a Nox 900 as a thank you gift along with their Pro-Find 35 pin pointer. I thought that was extremely nice of them. If you Google, The Mythical Beast and the Harvest you'll be able to read the story if you'd like.

I have grown accustomed to Minelab detectors since the Safari came out. At first, their detectors were hard for me to learn because of all of the different "flute like" sounds. However, sticking with their detectors and learning the different sounds has really helped my silver coin finds excel like no other detector. I am nearly 58 and have been detecting since I was 14 years old 

I used the 900 yesterday and pulled out a few Wheaties from a very worked out city park. My wife showed up she tried the 900 too, and pulled a 1935 Buffalo nickel. Not counting over five bucks in newer clad.

My Manticore is my go-to machine and I am looking forward to the smaller M8 coil being release. I detect a lot of trashy sites and those small coils do an excellent job and plucking the silver from the trash.

My wife really like the 900 because she has the 800 and it is similar to use. The collapsible shaft is an added bonus.

Hope this helps 🙂

Happy hunting!

John

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I took delivery of my 900 a week ago today and my first hunt with it was last Fri. and I have hunted with it daily since. One site in particular I was noting somewhat bouncy numbers, a park that once was a home site and has quite a bit of iron and gravel areas, and I recall recovering a Merc. dime that sounded rather ratty with numbers bouncing from around 80 to 86. It was 5-6" deep. A silver dime yesterday at 5" pretty much locked on 82 and most clad and cents I've recovered weren't all that bouncy as well. Recovered a 3 clad quarter stack this morning at 4" that was a lock 91-92. Thought I might have a silver quarter. Anyway, thus far for the most part I'm not experiencing the wide range of numbers that some others report. I will be up in Mn all next week and the area we'll be at has 4 bar (F75) ground. That will be a better test as my ground is (F75) 2 bar dirt on the average. Almost all my hunting has been in park 1 with sensitivity 24-26.  HH Jim Tn

• Like 1