Merrill Nyc Detecting - "proof: Minelab Manticore Misses A Lot Of Gold"

He's at it again air testing in All Terrain General with the horseshoe on. With the horseshoe off in All Metal mode, you're good to go.

I have yet to EVER hunt in anything other than All Metal on my beaches.

Maybe some of you in-land hunters need to use it for coin shooting iron infested areas, but my ferrous limits keep me from digging iron on my beaches even though I'm in All Metal.

Video Link

• Like 3

What would be the advantages of beach hunting in All Terrain General anyway? There is 4 different Beach programs built in already with nothing notched out. Can't those be used?  Minelab doesn't need to change the ATG program because it misses gold at the beach. Experienced users have full access to change settings to whatever they want. I'm mostly an inland hunter since the beaches here in Oregon are most part just too cold and windy for people to swim or lounge around in bikinis. If I wanted to go and detect I would just use a beach program and be happy. 

Granted....most "All Terrain" hunters are looking for coins or relics....not gold. But, if they do come across gold, they want a hit.

But the beach reference where he says it's chatty when in all metal, I disagree. And beach modes or prospecting mode is where he should be concentrating his testing if he's talking gold. Not All Terrain.

3 hours ago, Gomb said:

What would be the advantages of beach hunting in All Terrain General anyway?

NONE>>>Period!

He should be letting everyone know what a game changer the Manticore is on gold chains! 

• Like 2

Looks like he took the video down. Someone commented to him gold is not masked out in the beach modes as it is in All Terrain. Ha!

• Like 1

All terrain general is still all terrain general regardless of the disk being engaged or not....the targets will still appear in the same locations on the TT allowing you to still see bottle caps easily when in all metal and ignore them...if you get tired of all the noise when in all metal engage the disk and take your chances of missing a small gold chain. And he is just now finally impressed at how the M Core disks out bottle caps? Makes me wonder if he is even using the machine much.. 

strick 

• Like 4

I watched the video before it was taken down, and the whole thing was facepalm worthy. For example:

1) He uses a mode that the engineers, for good reason, designed to discriminate out those targets, then complains that the mode can't hit those targets (Whaa??). He calls it a "problem", instead of changing the mode / settings to hit the targets he desires.

2) He talks about how the Legend used to have the same problem. The "problem" lol, was about the Legend's Park mode discriminating out the 11 ID when in Park mode. It was designed to do that because 11 on the Legend is one ID above the ferrous range, and 11 on the Legend is almost always small foil. So, if the engineers didn't discriminate out 11, then just as many people would be complaining that the Legend hits on too much small foil. In other words, metal detector engineers are often in a no win situation when it comes to the defualt settings they decide to use. However, just like the Manti or any other feature rich detector: Just change the damn settings and/or mode to what you want to hit! It's not a "problem" and it's not that freakin hard!

3) He goes on about the Manti as if it has some sort of miraculous bottle cap rejection (another Whaa??). Bottle cap rejection is simple coding for the engineers, because it's just simple discrimination. The hard part of BCR for the engineers, is having to decide how aggressive to make it. For example, do they reject just steel caps, or aluminum caps as well? Either way, the engineers are again in a no win situation, because whatever option they choose, people would complain that the BCR is too weak or too strong. If someone owns one of these detectors, they should know that they can eliminate most caps without using a BCR feature, by using other settings. But, the more caps they discriminate out, the more good targets are missed. 

#2 and #4 seems to be him trying to justify and placate his ludicrous assertions. Given his past annoyance of not getting enough traffic to his site, and complaining that the controversial sites were getting all the hits, then it seems to me that the video was click bait to generate site traffic. Especially when you consider that he used the erroneous, overly dramatic, and fear mongering video title of, "The Manticore misses A LOT of gold".

• Like 5