Merrill Nyc Detecting - "proof: Minelab Manticore Misses A Lot Of Gold"

34 minutes ago, strick said:

.it's easy to believe and not think...

Agreed.

I don't want to get too much off topic, but a lot of that has to do with the education system teaching kids what to think, instead of how to think.

Our education system is sorely lacking in teaching kids critical thinking skills and objective reasoning. The comments in the video are evidence of that.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, dsb said:

Great response by Low & Slow.  

I wish he was a little easier to understand with that strong accent, but he get's his point across. "Guess what Merrill....you can adjust the machine to allow #'s 1-4 to show as a good target!"

Merrill seems to WANT to degrade Manticore (for views). It's his passion and his current ytube best hit list subject. All the Nokta and Deus owners will pile on in the comment section and make him more ytube money. More likes, more comments = more $$$.

• Like 1

The problem with Merrill and his YouTube channel is that he needs to just shut his mouth a bit and just stick to things like showing the controls on a unit or the little outings he does. 

Otherwise, he really isn't all that knowlegable when it comes to metal detectors. 

One of his biggest things is he talks about how many he owns...like 21 or something like that.

Big deal.....plus he has a website called irate metal detectors.  

Heck I personally have went through over 3 times that amount of units through the years that i have messed with them just to get to where I am today. I try to be careful of my opinion on certain units I have owned that I did not give a good go with because someone else may have taken the time and would be able to give more correct advice toward a specific unit. 

The problem is this, too many people can put up videos these days and the people who do not know any better take their advice.....whether it be good or bad. 

• Like 3

10 hours ago, strick said:

Its human nature....people are sponges they been and always will be...it's easy to believe and not think...it's harder to care than to not care... tell people what they want to hear and they run with it...If someone is on the fence about buying something tell them it's crap or hype and they will go with that...

strick 

People are sheep.  Or sheeple,  as my neighbor likes to say...

2 hours ago, bigtim1973 said:

The problem is this, too many people can put up videos these days and the people who do not know any better take their advice.....whether it be good or bad. 

A few days ago, I saw a popular YouTuber telling his viewers that if a signal disappears when you turn on it, it’s going to be iron, and digging it would be a waste of time. I can’t tell you how many silver coins I’ve dug that only hit in one direction, and would completely disappear if you turned just a few degrees.

Seems like the moment some of these guys get a few subscribers, they think they’re some kind of Detecting Guru and start slinging out “pro tips” left and right. Nothing wrong with sharing knowledge, but actually knowing what you’re talking about and having a little humility never hurts.

As for Merrill, I’ve enjoyed watching his videos in the past. I believe he is a fairly knowledgeable detectorist, therefore I’d have to agree with the others that some of his recent antics are done solely to get more views. 

I don’t let it bother me too much. YT is purely entertainment value for me, so if I don’t like what a particular channel is doing, I simply stop watching.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Rattlehead said:

A few days ago, I saw a popular YouTuber telling his viewers that if a signal disappears when you turn on it, it’s going to be iron, and digging it would be a waste of time. I can’t tell you how many silver coins I’ve dug that only hit in one direction, and would completely disappear if you turned just a few degrees.

Seems like the moment some of these guys get a few subscribers, they think they’re some kind of Detecting Guru and start slinging out “pro tips” left and right. Nothing wrong with sharing knowledge, but actually knowing what you’re talking about and having a little humility never hurts.

As for Merrill, I’ve enjoyed watching his videos in the past. I believe he is a fairly knowledgeable detectorist, therefore I’d have to agree with the others that some of his recent antics are done solely to get more views. 

I don’t let it bother me too much. YT is purely entertainment value for me, so if I don’t like what a particular channel is doing, I simply stop watching.

I agree totally....I too have experienced the same thing as you have said and one way signals and such being old coins on edge etc. 

I like his channel as well and yes he does a decent job of showing what HIS experience with them are.....but for someone who has only had a unit for 2 months maybe his advice should be taken with a grain of salt......he knows more about the manticore than I do for sure but he also said the ctx is an out dated unit. 

Well from my own experience when can a machine become outdated if it will still find things that other ones have missed??

• Like 1

You cats are raking poor old uncle fester over the coals here lighten up a little!

6EF82604-4C94-43F7-B256-67617DE52B5A_1_201_a.jpeg.e645a7aa315f657397cc5e776cf92753.jpeg

I need more likes.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

He was always saying how little he understood about how detectors worked when he started out, maybe still does.  i spent too much time watching detecting vids the last year or so due to health issues.  I still like watching him beach detecting and just generally like the guy .  He's so hyped up with enthusiasm and he is good or dang lucky cuz his swing looks like Zorro on a rampage😄  I don't see uncle fester, more Rodney Dangerfield!