Greetings From Florida

JeffP64FL

Getting ready to retire soon and looking for a new hobby. I initially wanted to look into gold prospecting and panning, but Florida isn't an optimal location for that sort of thing. So, now I'm trying to see if detecting might be a fun activity for me to occupy my time. From what I've gleaned so far, it looks like the beaches are the best targets for me here in Florida (unfortunately, I live in Gainesville and am, therefore, relatively far from any beach). I am still trying to learn the rules for detecting (recently learned that state and national parks are almost all off limits ... bummer) and I'm a little disappointed that I don't think I'll even be allowed to use a detector in local parks. But I'm going to browse these forums to see if I can find a way to make the best of my new potential hobby. I'm already a bit discouraged by the limited allowed areas to work, so I'll be interested in discovering how people find fun places to go for their searches.

Welcome to DP forum. This is a really good place to get ideas & learn. Private permissions maybe your best option for places to hunt. You probably know more people than you realize. Just start talking & asking. You will be surprised. There may also be a detecting club close enough to join. That would be the best resource.

Welcome, Jeff, haven't turf hunted in Fl for about 4-5 years, but the few times I did I went to city parks and schools. Knew/know state parks are off limits, but city parks and schools were ok. I know people hunt inland, so not everywhere is off limits. Might check around and see where the closest metal detecting club is located and attend a meeting. You may not learn anyones secret (good) spot, but you will get a general idea where some hunt other then the beaches. Good luck, this is a great hobby. HH Jim Tn

Welcome aboard Jeff !

You're right that many places are off limits , but...

If you ask at state parks , the ranger might just issue a permit.

Town city parks aren't all on the no list either. 

Research helps you locate old long gone buildings and other areas of occupation long gone....talk to older residents to find hang out spots etc.   

Knock on doors , ask permission, the worst that can happen is they say no.

Campgrounds and Fairgrounds are a good place to detect, again ask for permission.

Most  public beaches are allowed and like I said some of the state park beaches are open through the permits. 

This forum is loaded with experience  , you chose wisely .

The best of the best call it home. No question is stupid. Just ask.

Steve's Guides is also a great place to learn more....

Happy hunting.

Welcome Aboard!

finding places to detect can be hard at first.  Like others mentioned just keep asking around or calling the local parks & recreation up there.