Minelab 6000 On Ground Hunted With 7000

Well done Dave, onto a good thing there and getting plenty of bits.  Your experience buying a GPX 6000 should have been what everyone's was, you held off into a month or so ago and bought a new build one so you appear to have little to worry about with the quality of it and all the problems us early adopters faced.  I waited a year and that wasn't even enough 🙂

• Like 2

• The title was changed to Minelab 6000 On Ground Hunted With 7000
40 minutes ago, dig4gold said:

Is that with X coils or the standard ML 14" on your GPZ?

D4G

I think the only X-coils competitive with the 6000 on small gold sensitivity (how small they can detect) are the 8" and 15" Concentric, the 10" isn't too far off but I'd give it to the 6000 and the 12" spiral is possibly better especially when it comes to depth on the little bits.  Each detector has it's strong points and the 6000 will do better on some gold and one of the listed X-coils would do better on other gold.   The 6000's really set the bar for small gold performance with a non-VLF detector.

I personally think the 11" is the best small gold coil for the 6000 out of the coils I've tried so far having a slight edge on tiny gold over the Coiltek 10x5" with the 11" giving more depth.  The 10x5" has the size benefit when required though.

My picks for the 7000 would be the 8", 12" Spiral and 15" CC when it comes to small gold at depth and if I'm after depth in my soil at least I believe I'd likely do better with the 7000 but I'm lucky and can run it in normal.  In difficult who knows, maybe the 6000 wins.

Dave might be able to shed some insight seeing he's an 8" coil owner and in these difficult red WA soils.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

The 9" round coiltek goldhawk coil is my favourite for the 6000, super quiet,  excellent depth and sensitivity. I find I can run it with a lot more sensitivity than the 11" coil. I always run in difficult , after much testing there's not much difference between it and normal,  running way quieter and immune to most hot rocks. If I find I'm in an area with bad hot rocks I use the quick track button to ground balance on the hot rock, and that usually helps get rid of them .Next choice is the 12"x7"exceed for a bit more ground coverage.  Can't wait to try the 16"x10" exceed. 

• Like 6

20 minutes ago, Nedkelly said:

The 9" round coiltek goldhawk coil is my favourite for the 6000, super quiet,  excellent depth and sensitivity. 

Spot on - all the testing I’ve done has the 9”  Goldhawk as the best performed on both depth and sensitivity.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Yep same, lots of people bypass the 9" round in favour of an elliptical coil , which I think is a big mistake. I know I'm missing the crumbs that the smaller ellipticals can get but the way I look at it is you gotta leave a few crumbs for the mice otherwise they go looking for the cake.🤣

• Like 5