Quest V80 News

Just talked to a dealer on the Quest group on Facebook he received a dealer letter from Quest that said there will be no V80 or V60 sent to any dealer in the U.S this really sucks as I really wanted to give a V80 a swing I understand Quest reluctance to send anything to the U.S especially if its Multi Frequency with Mine Lab wanting to sue everyone.

• Sad 1
  • Oh my! 1

1 hour ago, DSMITH said:

Just talked to a dealer on the Quest group on Facebook he received a dealer letter from Quest that said there will be no V80 or V60 sent to any dealer in the U.S this really sucks as I really wanted to give a V80 a swing I understand Quest reluctance to send anything to the U.S especially if its Multi Frequency with Mine Lab wanting to sue everyone.

That is too bad if that turns out to be true. I hope it is just incomplete information. 

If it is true I guess I can save my money for something else since I was very interested in the V80. 

17 minutes ago, Jeff McClendon said:

That is too bad if that turns out to be true. I hope it is just incomplete information. 

If it is true I guess I can save my money for something else since I was very interested in the V80. 

well Jeff I have confirmation from two Quest dealers that I am friends with that told me they received the same letter from Quest confirming what was stated on Facebook by another dealer, I like you am very disappointed in this news, one of the dealers I had my name on a list he had started for the V80, I will not be purchasing anything else unless something changes, I only wanted the V80 because it seemed a little different from what I already have, was going to purchase the V80 just out of curiosity so to speak not that I need another detector, I need another detector like I need another hole in my head but we all know how addicting detectors are LOL, I am hoping this changes and the V80 does come to the U.S but at this point I do not believe it will.

not sure if us in the U.S could purchase one from across the pond and have it shipped here, but what would the cost be and what would the shipping be probably way more then it would be worth, I also do not understand why these Law suits only affect the U.S

• Like 1

Because the US laws, the same reason Nokta is being pursued only in the US for the Legend.   Sad for US customers the Quest detectors won't make it there with official channels.    I'm sure after watching Nokta they just decided the US market just isn't worth the trouble.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, phrunt said:

Because the US laws, the same reason Nokta is being pursued only in the US for the Legend.   Sad for US customers the Quest detectors won't make it there with official channels.    I'm sure after watching Nokta they just decided the US market just isn't worth the trouble.

I do understand that phrunt but still a hard pill to swallow none the less I have a friend in China I will just get him to purchase one for me and pay the shipping to the U.S if I have to or decide to, and then wait for it to clear customs LOL then what could mine Lab do come after me for copy wright infringement

5 hours ago, Jeff McClendon said:

Well just got a third confirmation the V60 and V80 will not be coming to the U.S Spoke to Andy Sabisch and he confirmed the news also, he did not sound to happy about it at all he just wasted a whole lot of time testing the V80 for Quest and then gets this news, not good, Andy also confirmed it is all due to Mine Labs sue happy nature and U.S laws where anyone can sue anyone for anything they want, its ridiculous in my opinion

• Like 2
  • Oh my! 1

Sort of a relief because of my detector OCD curiosity was willing me to get it just to try out some of its unique features and the higher frequencies than any other of its SMF peer>despite not wanting or needing anything more out of my detectors than what I have right now.  Will help in my “quest” to start downsizing as I am convinced Deus 2 and Axiom pretty much cover all the detecting bases for me and Legend makes a great value-based backup.

This is also somewhat of a self inflicted wound on these companies’ part - unlike XP - Nokta and Quest did not give themselves many degrees of freedom separation from Minelab’s SMF designs (at one point Quest even called their SMF multifrequency implementation “Simulti-Q” - practically begging ML to engage).  That is not to say that ML’s suit against Nokta or a possible suit against Quest has merit, but it does present a plausible case.  XP apparently has already been through the litigation mill with ML.  They seem undeterred, perhaps that settlement opened up the playing field for XP as ML spent their silver suit bullet on one of the flimsiest technology patent claims I have ever seen.

Anyway, we’ll see how this all turns out.  The fact is, if someone doesn’t have a case against you and you have a good product that should sell well, you should not let the potential to be sued deter your market ambitions.  That just emboldens the bully.

• Like 2

I guess fighting silly court cases for no reason other than to destroy competition is a costly experience they just don't want.   Plenty of other markets in the World to sell into with no fears of being taken to court by Minelab.

I'm sure some dealer in some other country will be shipping many units to the US anyway, does Canada have the same crazy sue someone for looking your direction laws as the US?  South of the border like Midalake said would be another option. 

It's happened to XP, Nokta and they just assumed it will happen to them too...  😞  Not good for the industry as a whole, especially the customers.

• Like 1