Beach Detecting After Hernia Surgery

2 hours ago, Norvic said:

Give it time, be positive you`ll come back, had bowel & appendix tumors removed, prostrate rebore, chemo etc back in 20. Was a hard year but magic professional health care, good luck, fit out of new Troopy and gentle 6K detecting brought me back.

Norvic,

Thanks for the perspective.  We all have our challenges and given a chance to compare situations it shows me and the rest of us what to expect.  Being as this is my first surgery it supplies the mind with information not previously considered.

I'm hoping this thread will allow more stories to be shared which will provide experience, strength and hope to move on to the next steps.

Mitchel

• Like 2

3 hours ago, mn90403 said:

"Do you have any cautions or horror stories to share?"

Caution - I would stop doing any more detecting for at least 3 weeks.

The last thing you want with a hernia is to re-open it.   Often after that type of surgery they might suggest something like not lifting anything more than 1 kilogram for 4 weeks, 3 kilogram for another 4 weeks, 5 kilogram for another 4 weeks, etc.

Walking is great but the twisting, lifting, squatting of detecting and retrieving targets is something I’d avoid for awhile.

That’s just what I would do.  No point overdoing things and having to go back to the OR for the sake of a few weeks  😉

Keep on top of the pain and don’t get constipated  😀 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Adam,

Thanks.  I've been given those suggestions and today I took it lightly and limited my time.  I don't want to stretch the mesh too soon.

The family is not here to surprise me with things to do so I'm taking it easy.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, mn90403 said:

Being as this is my first surgery it supplies the mind with information not previously considered.

Aye, tis a rude awakening finding out we aren`t bullet proof and I agree we should be open with our experiences, it helps the healing process.

• Like 3

I remember your reverence for the dog who had passed so many years ago.  You paid tribute.

I appreciate your natural understanding very much.  It makes me know there is a connection between such things.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My grandfather had the same type of surgery a few years back and said " I would rather take off a couple of months to heal my body than to have to go through it again and never be able to do what I love the most.

So I will say this, take it slow and easy for now so that you can handle the hunts without any worries.

Good luck and hope that things will work out for you.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Mitch I had Quadruple Hernea  surgery a few years back.

I gave myself plenty of time to heal then eased right back to digging  " Large Coil GPX" holes and climbing hillsides.

Since then I've apparently blew at least 1 apart. Made an appt. To see Dr. That did the work to find out he's no longer affiliated with the local hospital.

Then after calling the Hosp. asking about getting copies of my records on this I was refused access.

The Dr had a test done and told me yes I had a problem, 👍

However he suggested it would cause me more pain than it was worth to attend to it. 🙄🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

He suggested I wear loose clothing 😳🦯🤪🙈🐂🐂🐂🐂🐂🐂🤕

Great system we have to work with 🤕🤔😤.

I guess they did not want me to know the manufacturer of the mesh used because of all the lawsuits going on.

So that left me with the choice of having to secure a dreded "Lawyer" to find out anything 😎🤬

Well, as I said just take it ez for a period and remember it takes longer to heal inside than outside on the body 👍⛏️

At 71 years old now an I can still dig a 2 foot hole for a Sardine Can 🥫 but you have to do 2 things, stay away from the Medical Profession and Don't let the Old Man in 👍⛏️🥫🙈😎🎯

Happy Huntn 😁🤠

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1