Fred-  I was testing a depth enhancer for the GPZ. I would have bought the outrageously expensive 19" coil but I believe my depth enhancer system can be adapted to other detectors.

YJ; You are absolutely right. Sometimes something just doesn't "feel" right.

"Always use what works best for you" doesn't mean that is always the best.

I like the inset on my small plastic clean-up pan. It allows me to pan out all black sand, right down to only gold. It takes some practice, but I can pan out every spec of black sand.

I use the small green garret pan, don't like the small black ones, they are harder to use.

Like Harry, I don't use the riffles either.

True Klunker, but then everything else in mining does also.

I find that the inset will hold gold better and allow black sand to wash up over it. It just takes gentle water movements that will suspend the black sand, but not move the gold much.

The real trick is in making sure you don't lose gold when you start to get down to the heavies. That is usually about half way through the process. You have to keep resettling the material and watch very carefully.

• Like 1

Klunker, are you willing to share more information on this depth enhancer.  You have us hooked now :)

Brian.

NV B: All I can say at this time is that Steve H., Norm McQ and Reno Chris saw it in action and they can verify that there is a profound depth increase- including small nuggets.

JA; My fathers family was involved in the Blue lead mine in Bangor, Ca. When my uncle was very young he had the job of panning concentrates. If gold was lost into the panning tub he would be in big trouble. He probably panned millions of dollars worth at today's prices. Watching him use a pan was like watching David Rawlings play a guitar. I wish I'd of had enough sense to learn what he knew.

• Like 3

The only thing I'm good at is being bad. If one or two certain guests show up this week end I might get some photos posted of the depth enhancer system.

• Like 1

Klunker

I wouldn't give up any secrets yet. The earlier version of the depth enhancer seemed to work better, but it just might have been the ground you tried it in. Looking forward to the next test.

Norm McQ

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By M1dn1ghtN1nj4
      So, after playing around with a few ideas, I figure it's time to go ahead and make a larger scale sluice.  No tiny 95GPH flow, this is going to be 500GPH.  That's just over 5 times as powerful as my previous "pocket sluice".  This is basically a small Gold Cube.  Half the width, and scaled down in some areas.  This one is designed to take real gold sluice rubber matting.  I bought two types, one is generic "High-Low" matting that's 2.3mm tall.  The other is "Vortex" matting, and it's 7mm tall.
      The trays I have are designed to print with minimal supports and material, hence the honeycomb grid.  There is a little angular lip at the top of the matting area that keeps the top of the mat in place, and places the water and material flow completely onto the mat.  The little pegs at the bottom keep the mat from sliding down, and and small enough to not impede water flow in any meaningful capacity.  The underflow section at the top is actually the exact same dimensionally as the Gold Cube, so that the water flow works correctly.  Under the foot where the underflow is, is a cutout that fits into the raised pegs at the top of the bottom end, so they can stack neatly.  There is only 0.3mm of play between the parts, so that it's a nice, tight fit.
      The top tray, or "slick plate" is the same general idea, and has a 9 degree angle, just like the matting tray.  The red lid slides into the slot around the top, and creates a tight sealed box that directs the water flow.  It has only 0.3mm of clearance.  The back of it will end up having a threaded tube, 3/4" to allow a bilge pump to be hooked up to it.  What's not pictured here is an additional piece that directs water flow down to prevent excess splashing and uneven output.

• By tboykin
      I found some good gold in clay. Sticky, greasy stuff but shows promise. So I ask you old sourdoughs, what is the best way to process this material? I have been smooshing it by hand and then panning but it's not very efficient!
    • By Creekboy
      This is a 3D printed blue bowl version 1, it worked amazing for doing my last big clean up and sucked the sand away very quickly. I didn’t want to pay an arm and a leg so I built my own, leave an e-mail if you want the file. The whole project cost me less than 30 bucks or so. 
      Parts:
      -172 GPH Pump 
      -3/8 Tubing 
      -On/Off Valve 
      -12  #10-24x1in Screws 
      -9 #10 Washers 
      -Rectangle Tub 
      -Small Bucket 
      -Printed Parts 

• By M1dn1ghtN1nj4
      Well, as far as I can tell, it's the smallest FUNCTIONAL sluice box.  This isn't a cute scale model to look like a neat paperweight.  This thing actually WORKS!  Let me know what you think!  This has taken me well over 4 months to develop past where you saw it last time.  I still have a few minor tweaks I want to do to it, but all in good time.

As long as you can spoon feed it small enough material, this will work for you.  I guess this would be more suitable for processing concentrates, but it should still be a hefty worker!

Features:
      * Self-contained power (4x AA rechargeable batteries @ 1350mAh each)
      * 3x 120 LPH micro pumps @ 6volts each
      * Self-recycling water system
      * Can be used as a single or double tier system
      * Sluice trays are set at 8 degrees
      * Removable riffled drop-ins (currently printed in green) (upgradeable/swappable)
      * Debris catch bin for removing excess material from the basin
      * Scotchbrite scouring pad used as a particulate filter to prevent pump clogging
      * Fully disassembles and packs into itself for painless transportation
      * Watertight, isolated battery compartment won't get wet from splashes or overflow
      * Drain holes to prevent water buildup around solder connections to pumps, and in storage area
      * Spare storage area can be used for rubber mats, vials, filters, etc
      * Riffled trays (3D printed) designed for use in this system with its specific flow rate/angle
      * Quickly comes apart for cleaning of the trays or storage
      * Currently takes 687.52 grams of PLA filament @ 1.75mm  (52 hours to print on my settings)

Things I want to improve in my next version:
      * Isolate the pumps better so they don't suck up material or silt
      * Raise the edges to allow it to process larger piles of material without spilling over the sides of the trays
      * Make a better trap to catch the waste material, rather than let it build up in the main basin
      * Design riffle drop-ins that are more easily removable
      * Possibly design different types of riffle drop-ins

This one was just before this 2-tier version, when it was at a single level.
        Check out this point in the video, where a pretty good size nugget shows up!

• By Creekboy
      Just finished this project, figured somebody might like it around here. 

• By GB_Amateur
      My sister ran into a fossiker when out camping who was having an issue with tiny shot while finish panning.  He was sucking the shot into his snuffer bottle when trying to collect the gold.  Any suggestions?  I have a feeling he's not the first person to be annoyed by this.