The GPZ clearly represents something truly new in terms of gold detectors. 

It has already had a very strong effect on the pricing of Minelabs GPX series.

What do you suppose would be the likely effect of some new technology detector which could discriminate as well as a current VLF machines and  handle ground mineralization, hot rocks, etc. as well as the best of the PI machines and the GPZ? - Oh yes, and if it sold for a "street price" of $1500?

would my "dream machine" eliminate PI's and the GPZ for nugget hunting - almost certianly not.  Would it do stuff that none of today's detectors can do - perhaps.

result - chaos.

what is the likelihood of this happening?

From ML - zero, for obvious reasons

From some European innovator - unlikely due to lack of local demand for gold detectors.

From Whites - unlikely due to current confusion and problems bringing more conventional new machines sucessfully to market.

From Garrett - doubtful due to lack of any real recent technical innovation.

Gosh - who is left? - Well, as Marty Robbins once wrote....

" out near the West Texas town of El Paso… "

P.S. My own speculations only - as Click and Clack use to say "Unencumbered by the thought process".

image.jpeg

• Like 4

Why so coy Rick? The Fisher CZX was leaked over a year ago.

Chaos? You must mean at the competition, because detectorists would do nothing but welcome such a ground breaking product. I would be first in line to get one. I doubt anyone would care if it generates angst amongst the competition. If it forces a reduction of current model prices, great.

Since you mentioned the GPZ there is one thing I can tell you. The only thing that matters in that class is depth. I currently use a GPZ for depth, and a Gold Racer for discrimination. This new machine promises ground handling and hot rock handling, but that is not the same thing as depth. For depth it only promises "but deeper than current VLF". If the machine does everything you've said it will do, but got any less depth than my GPZ, then all it would do is replace my Gold Racer.

Don't get me wrong however - I am rather anxious to get one of these new machines in hand whenever Dave and company have it ready. I actually sold my other Fishers in anticipation of whatever is coming replacing them. It seems to be running a bit late but good things come to those that wait.

• Like 2

I think ML will wear the raw depth crown for a good while yet.  But something which replaced, say - all current VLF gold and relic detectors by virtue of greatly enhanced ground handling and discrimination - that would truly be a "thing".

patience is a virtue, but I ain't getting any younger!

I guess that over the years I have heard so many rumors of amazing metal detectors that never actually materialized (Pulse Devil, etc.) that I normally roll my eyes :rolleyes: and  smile skeptically until I see the product is in hand and actually works. It takes nothing to announce and a rumor a product - but a whole lot of effort to deliver a truly good one, especially a ground breaking one. Did you know I am working on a detector carried on a drone which will see deeper, discriminate perfectly and allow the user to sit in the shade drinking a cold one while the detector does the work? (Well, not really, but that's my dream detector)

I have nothing but the highest respect for the guys at Whites and the other companies too, but I will believe when I see and not when I hear a rumor specifically stated as "Unencumbered by the thought process" (as so many dream rumors are).

• Like 2