Casting Call For Gold Prospecting TV Show

If a new show is started about gold I hope it's the gold that was found and what it took to get it. I want all to know this is in my opinion only. I'd say only about half of Bering Sea Gold has to do with getting gold. The other half should be called As The World Turns a well known Soap if one is into that.

The other show that has two guys swinging Garrett Detectors I won't watch at all. Years past it was a show that has three guys in it and they had a great show. I would laugh at them but the other to me is one big joke.

Gold Rush has more going for it than the others. I do wish some had came back but I guess that's not to be.

Tom I wish you all the best if something comes of the talks.

Chuck

Most of us that hunt gold just want to see them hunt gold and that's all but how many people actually hunt gold?  It's a pretty small percentage I'm sure. So I see why they want to make it more than just about the gold.  They need more than that 1% if that to watch and keep watching so there has to be a story there too.  Yea there has to be sponsors etc that's kinda part of capitalism.  It's like life, it's not all fair and the good guy don't always win but that's how it is.   

Tom is a good pic for something like this.  He's young, he's fit, he's smart, he knows both sides of camera. He's a very thoughtful young man too.  He didn't have to take the time to take a stranger out fishing but he did that for me.  If he makes the cut and I really hope he does, I'll definitely be tuning in.   

• Like 2

Tom, I hope your experience with these people is a great one.

You sound like you would be a great person for them to work with and savvy too.

best of luck.

• Like 1

Thanks for the good luck wishes. If nothing comes from it then that just means more time for me to learn from you guys and maybe even go detecting with ya. I'll just have my lowly GMT or a TDI, but for me the experience carries more weight than the ounces.

On 8/9/2016 at 6:54 PM, Roughwater said:

Most of us that hunt gold just want to see them hunt gold and that's all but how many people actually hunt gold?  It's a pretty small percentage I'm sure. So I see why they want to make it more than just about the gold.  They need more than that 1% if that to watch and keep watching so there has to be a story there too.  Yea there has to be sponsors etc that's kinda part of capitalism.  It's like life, it's not all fair and the good guy don't always win but that's how it is.   

Tom is a good pic for something like this.  He's young, he's fit, he's smart, he knows both sides of camera. He's a very thoughtful young man too.  He didn't have to take the time to take a stranger out fishing but he did that for me.  If he makes the cut and I really hope he does, I'll definitely be tuning in.   

It's about time someone spelled it out here.  Television is a for-profit enterprise.  Have you guys ever watched (or even flipped through) what is out there on cable?  Ask yourself "why do they put this crap on?"  The answer is pretty simple (and unfortunate/sad) "because that is what the TV audience wants to see."  We have several channels whose names (and initial intent) is to educate:  History Channel, Animal Planet, Discovery Channel, and National Geographic Channel.  (All of them have treasure/gold shows, BTW.)  Yet all of them have a plethora of garbage.  History has the extraterrestrial alien believers every Friday night, Animal Planet puts on shows about sea monsters and Sasquatch which try to fool you into thinking are real (and 'fool' is a nice word -- they effectively lie to you in some cases).  Discovery has "Naked and Afraid".  I can't think off hand of what Nat Geo has that is misleading/phony, but I'm sure not interested in all their drug trafficking stuff.  Are you?

Having said that, what choice do we have?  IMO, these are the best channels on mainstream pay cable when it comes to adventure, nature, science, and technology!  Remember when 'TLC' meant "The Learning Channel"?  A&E was really about (less than brain-dead) Arts and Entertainment?  Have you checked them out lately?  (Do so on an empty stomach because you'll have one afterwards either way.)

Fact is that the four mentioned also have some decent shows -- you just have to filter through a lot of garbage.  At the same time you need to watch ANYTHING on TV or the internet (including this site :biggrin:) with a grain of salt.  Anyone with an opinion (and that's everyone) and a keyboard can claim things as if they are based upon decades of scientific evidence, regardless if they were just made up.  And TV isn't far behind that.  If it sells then the veracity is secondary/unnecessary.  But this doesn't stop me from watching, just watching selectively, and with a skeptical eye.

I know someone who did a reality show a couple of years and it was just starting to get good at the end of season one-I called him and asked when will season 2 start and he said that he still hadnt been paid for season 1 yet and didnt even know if there would be a 2nd season-guess what Im still waiting :blink:-What a Fnnn Scam :angry: Mike C...:ph34r:

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Mike C... said:

I know someone who did a reality show a couple of years and it was just starting to get good at the end of season one-I called him and asked when will season 2 start and he said that he still hadnt been paid for season 1 yet....

Would this happen to be the one about searching for the Lost Dutchman Mine?  (Maybe I shouldn't ask, since you could have told us more about the show in your post -- I accept and respect that you have your reasons.)

I've watched most if not all of these treasure shows.  The biggest problem I have is trying to figure out what is real and what is planted/fabricated.  The good news is that when you use non-professional subjects (i.e. untrained actors) it's less likely they'll be able to fake you out.  The second biggest problem is putting up with all the drama/conflict b.s.  Some shows are (far) worse at this than others.  Third issue is all the voodoo/supernatural/pseudo-science crap.  That is easier for me to ignore, and I guess it brings in audience (=advertiser $) so if that (and a bit of drama) is what it takes to get something decent on the air, I'll put up with it.

Anyway, I was disappointed the Lost Dutchman show didn't have a second season.  Still not sure about the veracity of all they showed (Jesuit connections, etc.) but the leader of the search team was likeable, seemed knowledgeable, and half his group appeared to know what they were doing.  The other half....

I also have been interviewed by two different production companys for TV reality shows. In my opinion it's just them pitching ideas to major networks. Obviously no networks were interested in the 2 different reality shows I did interviews for. Guess I need to work on my personality.

I can see one major problem.......

How are they going to find a camera man that is fit enough and has the balls to follow me to where I found this?20160810_162335.jpg

• Like 8