Question On Gold Racer Coil

Will try that trick California. Thanks!

Dilek, sent the inquiry to info@makrodetector.com from your website. 

In spite of the lower sensitivity issue, I like the coil. Seems to sharpen it some on those smaller jewelry items. No longer have to dig whispers in the threshold, they come clear. Anything that whispers in the threshold of the smaller coil so far has been tiny iron trash.

Had the exact same issue. New coil fixed it. After a few months on this new coil, I'm now experiencing gold targets grunt like it iron. Even lowered the tone break to 30 and 25, still grunts like iron. Didn't used to do this. Now I'm not sure what to do with it, I guess send it in for warranty tuneup or repair.

I totally love this machine. But it doesn't seem to be holding up for very long.

Sciara,

Thanks for posting your experience with this. And thanks to all others who have chimed in. Makes for a most informative thread.

Seems a most unusual thing to have it go that way. I seldom use the disc modes so cannot say what mine is doing there, but will check tomorrow when I am out hunting. Plan to try pulling the coil cover as suggested earlier by Californiagold too

I know what you mean about loving the machine. I use mine everyday now, and hunt it hard with all the gain the ground will allow. Despite early problems with it, and now whatever the problem with the coil is, I would not trade it for anything I can think of.

To update this.

As long as sensitivity is kept low enough to avoid overload, good targets do not grunt like iron in disc mode. Overloads the same in all modes, but seems to operate normally otherwise,

The coil cover thing that CaliforniaGold described is most peculiar. If the coil cover is pulled off it stops overloading, and sensitivity may be turned up to 99 without overload in air. Put the cover back on and it overloads again. Anyone got any idea on why that should be so?

Also, a most unusual thing hunting with it today, several spots on an otherwise unremarkable beach made it overload. Distinct spots of target size, like a surface target. No target was there, lifting the coil did not bring a target signal, the overload just disappeared. Targets near the overload signal could be heard normally when the coil was up enough to remove overload. Nothing could be found that was causing this, and no pattern could be found that might indicate a possible cause. Any thoughts on this?

That's too weird, never heard of such a thing. Hard to believe the coil cover could put enough pressure on the coil to deform it, changing the coil null enough to overload. Also hard to believe they accidentally used a plastic coloring agent that has conductive properties. That's the only two things I can think of that would explain what you are observing.

• Like 2

Absolutely. Starting to suspect alien abduction.

The coil cover does not sound off when waved over the coil at max sensitivity, so it does not seem to be that. Also, the coil cover must be fully on, or nearly so, it does not sound off till it is nearly fully on.

Tomorrow going to try putting some duct tape or something on it to protect the coil, and then just hunt without the cover and see what it does. Will go right back to the same beach and see how those spots behave without the cover. Really hate to hunt without some sort of coil protection, but a little tape should work to see.

The story gets stranger. Dealer called and said new coil was in. Went with detector to show the problem. You probably guessed, it would not do it. Could taking the cover off and on all those times have changed something?

Now have new coil on and at home, this one works fine. Will try the mystery beach tomorrow and see if those overload spots are different.

Good Heavens.

My Gold racer coil had the overload with cover on, then not with it off, only a few times. Now it has never done it again. Had the same happen years ago with 2 gb pro coils. they stopped overloading with cover on after a few removals. I was leaning toward static buildup on plastic coil cover. Im not sure if that would make it overload. maybe Steve can elaborate some more on this very peculiar phenomenon.  Very twilight zone though. 

I did want to add that while gold racer overloaded with the cover on. I took it off and just placed several other covers from other Nokmak coils over the small coil and they didnt overload. I put the original back on and back to overloading.  Since a few removals, it is now normal though.

one of the problems with intermittent and mystery problems is they mess with your confidence in the equipment...even after I sent my 3500 to oz for a rebuild I was constantly wondering if it was working correctly. Only success and lack of problems restored my confidence in the 3500 and Me. 

good luck with your problem

fred