Apparently Carl Moreland has left his position as Engineering Division Manager at Whites Elecrtonics and is now Engineering Manager at First Texas Products. This according to Carl's Linkedin page -

https://www.linkedin.com/pub/carl-moreland/8/481/4b5?_mSplash=1

Carl is very experienced in PI detector design, both from his time at Whites and from his role as owner of the Geotech Forum.

First Texas makes a big chunk of their sales in the goldfields of the developing world. Their gold detectors are all VLF'S - you would think a good PI gold detector would be something they would want to have.

I can't imagine that being good for White's - seems like a real coup for First Texas.

I used to count the companies I looked to for genuinely new detectors for the mass market as being Compass, Fisher, Garrett, Tesoro, and White's. Then Compass went out of business but along came Minelab so it changed into Fisher, Garrett, Minelab, Tesoro, and White's.

Then Fisher went down but became one with Bounty Hunter and Teknetics as part of the First Texas family. I was skeptical at first but time has proven that to be a good thing. So the "Big Five" changed to First Texas, Garrett, Minelab, Tesoro, and White's.

Sadly Tesoro so far seems content to just remix the past. I think they build great detectors and I have a lot of respect for the folks at Tesoro, but I have to say I no longer look to them for anything really ground-breaking. And while it still may be a bit early to do so it appears to me that XP is an up and comer if they can do more to expand their limited product line. I have never owned an XP product but I am keeping an eye on them. The "Big Five" in my mind at least appears now to be First Texas, Garrett, Minelab, White's, and XP.

With the sad loss of Dan Guyer and now Carl Moreland going over to First Texas I now have to wonder where White's is headed. The V3i was in the oven already when Carl first went to White's, so from my perspective the company has done nothing new since with the exception of the TRX pinpointer. Everything else has been rebaked versions of older platforms. The main issue is the marriage to big circuit boards in big boxes. I see detectors in a pod weighing under three pounds as the future and White's is getting seriously behind in that regard. Great company, great products, great people, but at risk of getting left behind unless some major changes are forthcoming.

First Texas has great stuff under development and for once seems to be waiting to get it "done right" before going into production. Getting Carl on board may very well be a part of that and I am excited to see what the future brings. 2015 is shaping up to be a major milestone in metal detector history.

• Like 1