Retail Price. Resale Price. A Reflection Of Value For Money?

Something that have noticed and has bothered me is how the resale price of the currently available ML PI's generally sits around the 70 - 80% of there retail price. The White's PI's that I have recently seen sold on another forum are selling for 40 - 46% of the current retail price. The question is does this represent a great secondhand deal on the White's PI's or an expensive retail price in relation to the value they retain. Something to consider is an unfavorable Aussie Dollar for the White's machines has driven prices up. I love my GMT and will eventually get a PI and resale is something i always look at. TDI Pro Oz $3300 AUD @ 45% is $1485 or a GPX4500 $3750 AUD@ 75% $2812.50. I would assume the ATX would be somewhere around the White's resale. Why don't they retain value?

I understand as do most that Minelab set the bar, however how can Whites and Garrett compete with the retail prices so close to the Minelab machines. Is it a niche demand for the White's and Garrett or is some serious pencil sharpening required?

What makes you think there are lots of TDI or ATX detectors being sold in effective competition to Minelab detectors? People here in the U.S. do buy the TDI and ATX for both relic and beach detecting here, probably more so than for prospecting. But even the relic hunters have turned to mostly Minelab though and lots of beach hunters also. To a certain extent Minelab won the PI war. It just is what it is.

The price difference was more substantial until recently. The Minelab price drops on the GPX 4500 and GPX 5000 have pushed prices closer together. Part of it is exchange rates messing with you. The price difference is greater in the U.S. than in Oz.

• Like 1

I don't think that there are lots of TDIs and ATXs being sold. Prospecting in Oz is the main game which the TDIs and ATXs seem to be aimed at here and not so much for the relic hunting. That is why I compared the three. You are right. The exchange rate does play a big part in it all which is a bugger. We all want to see a competitive market place.  Thanks for the feedback. 

Brunks

7 hours ago, Brunks111 said:

TDI Pro Oz $3300 AUD @ 45% is $1485 or a GPX4500 $3750 AUD@ 75% $2812.50. I would assume the ATX would be somewhere around the White's resale. Why don't they retain value?

Brunks,

I assume you are in Australia.  I was looking at the numbers you quoted.  TDI Pro Oz 3300 AUD.  Whites doesn't seem to sell that model anymore over here but in doing a search I found a new one advertised at less than 1600 American dollars over here in the US from a dealer.  If you assume a US Sale price of 1600 with the AUD conversion rate alone that comes out to 2073 rounded off.  So somewhere along the way you folks in Oz are paying over a 1000 more AUD than we do even figuring in the exchange rate which I think likely affects the resale value also.  I don't know if a person in Oz can buy a Whites detector directly from the US but it almost looks like it could be almost cheaper to fly round trip to the US to pick one up than to purchase directly from a Oz dealer?  

So over here since we don't pay near as much to start with if the resale value drops to only 1000 or in US dollars it's still not near the loss of value % wise as it would be in Oz if that makes sense.  

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Whites-TDI-Pro-PI-Metal-Detector-with-12-Waterproof-Spider-Search-Coil-/291840963154?hash=item43f313b252:g:xwwAAOSwRGlXqQgo

Minelab has been having some incredible promotions this summer. My buddy just bought new GPX 5000 for $3000.00 out the door from a prospecting shop-Minelab dealer. He almost bought the 4500 for $2250 (OTD!) Top of the line machines for a mid-range price......Unthinkable just a few years ago.

• Like 1