Second Hand Metal Detectors

Hello team im new on this platform so forgive me if my question is out of place. is it advisable to puchase a second hand gold detector? im saying this because where i come from there is only one dealer of new metal detectors and its very expensive maybe thrice the price that you see on the internet. most websites i have visited they dont ship to my country (Zimbabwe). 

A second can save you a lot of money.  A second with a warranty is a good option if available.  I don't really know of any gold detectors that break and can't be fixed and they don't seem to break that often.

Definitely the way to go, I would say. Like most items, detectors depreciate quite heavily, especially if a new model has just been released, so you should be able to get a bargain. And those older detectors don't suddenly stop being good detectors overnight. If you have trouble with deliveries to Zimbabwe, perhaps you could get a friend (if you have one) in South Africa to receive it for you. Or pick one up from a delivery point there.

I agree and feel it is not a bad idea to buy second hand provided the following it true:

1. You can verify the detector is in good working order and is not a counterfeit.  If you never used the detector before have someone go with you who is familiar with it to verify everything is in order.

2.  You feel comfortable that it's a fair price and if something changed where you didn't need it anymore you could get all or most of your money back by reselling it.  I have bought several used detectors and have had good luck with them all and no problem reselling.

Consider buying a protective cover for it so you can keep it's resale value intact.  

• Like 1

i  would not buy used unless the price is 50% of the best new price...otherwise buy new and get the peace of mind a warranty brings;

IF,

you buy a reputable detector and deal with a reputable dealer...

buying cheap is often the most expensive choice...buyer beware!

fred

• Like 1