V3i Prospecting Mode Info

johnedoe

I am looking for as much practical and technical info on the V3i's prospecting mode as possible.
It is an area that is extremely lacking.
I don't have much nugget shooting experience but I'm hoping to remedy that situation in the near future.
I have done some with my MXT but I want to explore the potential of the V3i.
If any of the White's tech info is available that would be great too.
Thank's...

Thank you Swifty,

i have read that as well as numerous other articles by Steve, all great stuff.

I guess what I am looking for is more in the field reports, how they did, what settings and tweaks they used, and of course anything White's engineering may have and want to share.

I realize nugget shooters are naturally going to gravitate to a machine specifically designed for the job and spend less in the process. It's just the I am looking for the potential that is available with the V and trying to figure how best to exploit that potential. 

The 22.5 freq. should make it fairly hot on some smaller gold, it is just a matter of will the V with it's unlimited setting be adaptable to the ground conditions one encounters ... The V has a very good ground tracking as well as widely adjustable SAT, but can that be set in or near the range of the MXT hypersat settings?  I know I need to get the machine out and do a lot of testing myself but I don't presently live in an area that offers that environment.

Maybe I'm wasting my time but I just want to see where the limits of the V are.

Anyway just something to keep me occupied while I heal up from wrist surgery.

Actually the ground tracking system on the V3i is fairly weak compared to the MXT and GMT. It does just fine on most ground but struggles in the kind of ground prospectors frequent. That can be overcome by simply using manual ground balance.

I had a V3i and had intentions of doing a little prospecting with it but just never got around to it before I sold it. It is not an extremely popular detector, and the number of serious prospectors that own one is close to zero. Those like me that might have one have better machines for prospecting. It all adds up to very few people having ever used a V3i for any appreciable amount of gold prospecting. I hope somebody has more to add but I doubt you are going to get much feedback on this subject just because nobody knows.

My buddy at Ganes who did well with the V3i did so with stock prospecting mode, no neat tricks. He ran the 10" x 12" SEF coil and swore by it.

The V3i has the hots and I know I could find gold with one. You have a clear shot at being the number one expert on the subject so I hope you do give it a go. Good luck!

LOL.... Thank's Steve,

Not sure I'm looking to be #1 but hey, who knows.

I will certainly share anything I do discover with all here.

You have a great forum here, glad I came across it.

• Like 1

I agree completely, the V in a waterproof box would be outstanding. Or maybe just give the MXS a second freq. like the DFX without the bells and such.

It will be interesting to see what White's comes out with for the next big thing.

I am pretty much a coin and jewelry hunter but have always had interests in nugget shooting, just don't live in an area  where I can easily get any practice.