On Makro Gold Racer, Can Discrimination Allow 50%+ Digs On Gold?

Well, in answer to several comments above...

My link was to nugget VDI numbers with a White's detector which uses a different scale than the Gold Racer. White's -95 to 0 is ferrous, 1 to 95 non-ferrous. Gold Racer under 40 is ferrous, above 40 non-ferrous. That is air tests, in ground non-ferrous items will get pulled into ferrous range with any VLF. I posted the link just to show there is no "gold" VDI number. The larger the nugget, the purer the nugget, the more solid the nugget - the higher the VDI number.

In general metal detectors do not respond to fine gold in a bottle - 

Finally, pinpoint modes are not generally needed to pinpoint targets. The target is where the beep is. However, if you are in disc mode by going to pinpoint you are just temporarily entering a no-motion all metal mode. That can be useful as a tool in sizing a target which is difficult to do with the abbreviated beep that a disc mode delivers.

The bottom line on this subject is while a metal detector is no replacement for a gold pan when delineating paystreaks, they can be a quick and dirty tool for that use and I know successful commercial miners in Alaska that keep a metal detector strapped to the bulldozer for just that purpose. It is a site specific thing however and the efficiency at any given area is nothing but guesses. It is just one of those things you have to try to see it if works for you.

Thanks Steve.  Did know that the largest piece determines whether seen or not.  Have tested other detectors and they would not see a piece as small as one in video, even if waved next to the coil.   The gold racer seems intriguing.  Going to try and borrow one and test it for real, see just how small it goes and how accurate it can ID things.  

For the small gold in the video, I was not looking at the screen for ID, I was listening to the tone. As far as smaller gold, I don't think it would worth my time to dig sub grain gold. What I needed to do that day is carry a bucket and scoop the targets into a bucket and pan them later. This would have saved me time and I could have perhaps made gas money that day.

Those little specks are not going to be "seen" any deeper than "maybe" an inch and a half. Less if you have bad soil and not much more if you have good soil.

When I say "specks", I'm referring to maybe half grain pieces....

Forget locating fine gold.

Beings geologists believe that 98 percent of the gold left in the world is fine gold,  I assume they mean the specks all the way down to flour gold, or even smaller. The Gold Racer does an excellent job of finding tiny pieces of gold. I value its ability to find these tiny pieces for at some locations that is the nature of the gold. they dont look like much when it comes to size, but they are Real gold. sometimes it takes me 20-30 of them to make a pennyweight. Which can easily be done at some of these locations very quickly.  A big part of my gold finds these days are of this size and alot are from places that people decided not to dig those tiny signals. Or their detector didnt hit very well on these because of many reasons. unless a person is in need of trying to find only the bigger gold for a fast paycheck or they are an allout trophy hunter,  it can still be very profitable to detect these tiny pieces of gold. many times ive seen friends go home with nothing because they were trophy hunting, and I took home 1-2 dwt of tiny gold. I haven't been skunked in years on an all day outing because many times the tiny stuff saved my day and because of my persistence to keep digging all good signals big or small no matter how many bb's that I had to dig aswell. If one notices on these forums, there is 1000's of members, but not alot of people out of the many find any gold. it is not an easy thing to do. so as for that, I'll take any gold that I can get. But to each his own, Good luck

• Like 2

So if 'tiny' gold is the game, why use the Gold Racer instead of the Gold Bug II?

HH
Mike

If your sole goal is to hit a tiny gold nugget a Gold Bug 2 with 6" coil is as good as it gets. I doubt there are many people that would dispute that, certainly not me. The Gold Racer just adds other features that add versatility. For me the ability to run an oversized DD coil makes the Gold Racer attractive, and the target VDI information has its uses.

• Like 3

I will post separately, but in the issue of fine gold. I did get a Makro gold racer. And totally opposed to conventional wisdom and my past experience with other detectors it will detect a bottle of fine gold, in fact do not have a bottle of fine gold that it does not detect, to my surprise.  Medium fines about 4" and it does ID it at 41.

My finest fines, 1.5" and does not ID till 1/2" at 21. Maybe connecting electrically piece to piece.