Bering Sea Gold Season 7

For what it's worth the new season of Bering Sea Gold Starts Friday August 26th on the Discovery Channel. I like the show but often the first in a continuing series is mostly a rehash of last years events where they milk the old film.  Guess we will see.   

http://www.discovery.com/tv-shows/bering-sea-gold/

Roughwater,

Many years ago, I had a construction project in Nome and at that time the BEMA M dredge was operating about a mile off-shore just west of the jetty built to off-load barges.  At that time, workers were ferried out to the Dredge in a helicopter at the first of the week and brought home at week's end.  Don't know how successful it was, but probably was the fore-runner of the current small barges on the show.

While I was there college kids and others came in the summer and panned the beaches right at Nome and many made enough to go to school the next year.  They sold small vials of gold to tourists and I still have a couple of them somewhere.

I brought my cement up from Seattle on my two barges and gave them to a concrete supplier and he separated the sand and aggregate from the beaches.  He ran all the sand over a large sluice and made even more profit from the gold he got.  Even 100 years after gold was discovered in Nome a good part of their economy relied on it.

Gary

• Like 3

1 hour ago, brogansown said:

Many years ago, I had a construction project in Nome and at that time the BEMA M dredge was operating about a mile off-shore just west of the jetty built to off-load barges.  At that time, workers were ferried out to the Dredge in a helicopter at the first of the week and brought home at week's end.  Don't know how successful it was, but probably was the fore-runner of the current small barges on the show.

Thanks a lot for the history lesson on Nome's Gold.  Looks like you shared a part in it.  Thanks so much for sharing it with us!

We were up there last summer and the houses north/west of the harbor had been burned and removed.  I understand that part of the beach is off limits to recovery now because the gold company that owned it was sold to the Russians.  Further out you get to Cripple Creek where the GPAA camp is.  Out there were many beach sluices but they had not been used in some time.  

The tide there is not much but anything out past the low tide mark is subject to the leases they talk about on Bering Sea Gold.

Mitchel

I lived in Nome in the early mid 80s. It has changed a lot since that time.

Did a little beach mining but more partying,,,,,, young and dumb.

This is a little from some old concentrates I still had that I packed around for too long...lol

20160703_182814.jpg

20160706_161942.jpg

• Like 4

21 hours ago, mn90403 said:

I understand that part of the beach is off limits to recovery now because the gold company that owned it was sold to the Russians.  Further out you get to Cripple Creek where the GPAA camp is.  Out there were many beach sluices but they had not been used in some time.  

Maybe the Russians will start their own reality show?   

Hi Terry

Like it are not I will be watching it. If for no other reason because it's got the word gold in the name of the show. IF It would say don't get your pantyhose in a bind if not no the gold. The word gold is there so you'd find me in front of the TV.

Thanks for letting us know.

Chuck

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ridge Runner said:

If for no other reason because it's got the word gold in the name of the show.

I hear ya Chuck.  It's got gold or prospecting, Treasure or anything related I will at least check it out.  Also looks like you are about to have Gold on your member!  :ohmy: Or maybe better put, three more posts and you'll be a gold member, least I think that how it works.

Terry

Is it true when you hit that mark that Steve gives you a gold coin ? Haha Steve's says in your dreams I'm sure.

Chuck

On August 15, 2016 at 8:01 PM, mn90403 said:

We were up there last summer and the houses north/west of the harbor had been burned and removed.  I understand that part of the beach is off limits to recovery now because the gold company that owned it was sold to the Russians.  Further out you get to Cripple Creek where the GPAA camp is.  Out there were many beach sluices but they had not been used in some time.  

The tide there is not much but anything out past the low tide mark is subject to the leases they talk about on Bering Sea Gold.

Mitchel

"sold to the russians"....????

Well seems like being a sovereign Man and US citizen I would just have to claim nationalization rights to our own national resource......