Pretty Little Gold Nugget

Nice piece Steve.

In the top photo, lower right, there is a piece of quartz.... In the bottom photo, it looks like there was gold there.  Did you lose it while in the Wink or just the angle?

The first photo is after being cleaned with Whink exposing the quartz. The second is the "before" photo.

The quartz is covered by dirty brown grime that the Whink removed. The brown stuff is visible along the right edge. If you leave in Whink too long it will frost clear quartz and completely dissolve it eventually.

Oxalic acid is one of my favorite ways of removing rust stains because it is cheap and pretty safe. However, some of these California nuggets have a silica based reddish brown grime that resists nearly anything you throw at it with the exception of hydrofluoric. Whink is a relatively safe way to acquire and use hydrofluoric as it is very low concentration, so low they sell it off the shelf at Walmart etc.

• Like 1

All I can tell you Harry is I have been using Whink for over 20 years and never had that happen. I am not saying it can't happen but the odds are pretty low. Hydrofluoric is used by many experts for cleaning minerals so it is not like it is something experimental or off the beaten path.

You do have to change the solution out if it absorbs enough minerals to discolor the solution, which can in turn stain the quartz. I do not think hydrofluoric can chemically alter the actual color of quartz so something else would have to be involved.

Fabulous article on cleaning quartz which is 100% applicable to cleaning gold nuggets and specimens http://www.mindat.org/article.php/403/Cleaning+Quartz

Probably time to mention that acids can main and kill so always use extreme caution when using them.

• Like 2

Beautiful specimen Steve.  Found with the 7000 I assume?  How deep was it?