OK, I guess I don't get it.  If the government takes the strong arm approach and says "here's the law..., it's our right..., you are required to comply..." we get up in arms.  If they ask our permission we ridicule them.

Its not a matter of ridicule, but rather a parody of all the items and things in nature that were once free to us all, and now we have to pay to use them.  If I want to visit a public beach my choice is to drive 75 miles for free parking or pay 12 dollars. Want to visit our public lands in a forest? you need an adventure pass..Your not allowed to pan for gold in sections of Piru creek due to a frog study, Some beachs and parks metal detecting is banned  due to someone falling in a hole made by a small child building sand castles, now no digging of any kind allowed... on and on and on. It never ends.

• Like 2

One of my friends claims we have, we are on a limited operating period. Can only work from October 1 to June 15th.  From the yellow legged frog. Ask if they seen any frogs here. The FS reply was, no not here but over the ridge, but it is suitable habitat.  

So basically a frog might jump through here. Total BS. 

Red tape,signs, fences, gates, studies, lawyers and Leo's cost money to "manage" our government land. Their solution; pay to play in given areas the rest stay out.

Just a couple decades ago when public land was truly public (and free) everything seemed better in so many ways. I'll end my thought here 'cause I know Steve doesn't want things getting too political.

• Like 1

Excellent!

Funny Story but kinda sad too.  I gotta say that here in North Carolina things are generally kept more simple than a lot of states and I appreciate that. The beaches are still free to access.  However there are folks that move here that don't have that relaxed southern attitude and want to make life more difficult.  Very recently there is a lady that owns a home at a NC beach trying to sue the local government so she can keep people off her beach.  Fortunately so far she cannot.  So it's not always the local or Federal Government that pushes to limit our access.  It's often some person or more often some "group" that has somehow forced the government to act.  

Access to public lands I think is one of the most important issues to outdoor folks like us.  That's one of the reason's I support the RMEF (Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation).  The organization has been great for getting public access to public lands that have been "land locked" by private property especially in the western US.   Over the years they have worked to purchase Millions of acres of private lands to give us access to once private property or easier access to public lands.    At the same time it gives wildlife more room to roam and better habitat as well.  It's a Win/Win for all of us who enjoy the outdoors.  It's not just helpful to folks in the west but the RMEF has also worked to help reintroduce Elk to many eastern States. Many talk the talk but few walk the walk.  If you want to walk the walk find a way that fits you to do more than talk about such issues but talking about such things is a good start.