A Makro Gold Racer Will Detect Bottles Of Fine Gold, To My Surprise

I bought a gold racer with both std coil and smaller 7"DD.  Did some air testing and well this is opposed to conventional wisdom, but it easily sees fine gold in a bottle with water.  In fact do not have a bottle of fines it can not see!  Settings very much affect the depth. 

In all metal the finest gold in a bottle is seen at 2.5" IDs at 1.5" and IDs at 16-18.    In Discrim it varies but generally less.  Discrim #2 is better of both.  

Medium fines 3.5" at some Discrim settings and IDs at 38.

It works about the same with Std and small coil. 

Have not tried in field yet, that is tomorrow.   There is one good thing about this, people lose gold bottles, if its 3" or less would expect to be able to find one. 

So this was pleasant surprise. On downside the better pieces in air tests are not as deep as would expect,   The small coil with "all metal" sees medium fines bottle at 4" yet can only see a pickup with thickness that is 3/16"x1/8" at 3.5" even though it is much bigger than anything in bottle. And a small piece at 1/16"x 1/12" can be seen at 2.5", so only increases depth 1" for a piece that weighs likley 6-7 times more.  BTW the bottles do not have a lot of gold, bigger fines maybe 1 pennyweight, finest fines about 1/2 pennyweight. 

Thought this info on bottle fines may be of interest, next step see how gold racer works in the field.  Love the adjustability of this detector.

Cheers

Take the top off the bottle................ :smile:

See that little foil coated paper gasket in there...... 

• Like 2

I understand that and I have seen HOT detectors .......... Just saying make sure your not detecting the little foil liner in the cap.....

I have seen that too........ :smile:

3 hours ago, Steve Herschbach said:

More seriously, hot detectors like the Gold Racer will detect a bare hand, let alone one holding a bottle. Just a note for those who have not worked with super hot detectors.

Yep my GMT would pick up the mineral salts in my hand. There's a bit of a spiel about it in the GMT manual. It's the reason I started using a plastic scoop & have done since. Apparently it can have the effect on some people more so than others.

I'm gonna be a little transparent here and I hope you all can get as good a laugh out of it as I did....................eventually...

Dana. ...... I did the same thing. I got a hot new coil for the V.

OK….. here is a small vial of beach gold. finger for reference point….:biggrin:
I got the V out… it now has the 6x10 elliptical coil on it.
in the stock prospecting mode it will detect that vial with cap on at a little over 2 inches………
WOWEEEEEE

The wife walks by and sees I am quite happy with this little experiment.........

She then just looks at me and says .....Take the cap .....  off the bottle......................:blink:

I take the cap off and it actually still detected the small amount of gold in that vial but I almost had to scrub the bottom of the vial against the coil…..Still not bad I guess.

Brought to you by Rough and Ready scientific laboratories……. 

Screen Shot 2016-08-20 at 9.47.07 PM.png

On the Gold Racer in All Metals mode, if you double push the left arrow button the menu frame on the screen will start blinking. This means you now in all metals enhanced mode and you will get more target definition and more sensitivity.

5 hours ago, Steve Herschbach said:

More seriously, hot detectors like the Gold Racer will detect a bare hand, let alone one holding a bottle. Just a note for those who have not worked with super hot detectors.

Steve, noticed the same thing.  It does not pick up my fingers but does pickup my palm.  I test in such a way to make sure palm is not near enough to factor in by doing same exact test with no bottle.