Steve's 2014 Alaska Gold Adventure

No worries Steve... take all the time you need to prospect the area to your full satisfaction... you may never return again. Good luck.

Jim.

Thanks Jim.

It was a worthwhile detour. Hit a bedrock area and attacked it with pick and hoe and SDC 2300. Got 4.2 dwt putting me solidly over two ounces. Weather is headed downhill so time to head south. Just got a shower in Chicken and posting this, now off into the sunset I go! Photos when I get to Whitehorse.

Thanks, I enjoyed reading the as close as you can get ride along on your Alaskan gold adventure, everyone got some gold and the memories of finding the gold will last a lifetime!! 

Spent the night just shy of the border sacked out in the front seat of my truck. Up early and cleared customs and typing this at the Whitehorse McDonalds. Here are a couple parting shots of Chicken and a photo of Kluane Lake in Canada a few hours ago.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

What an awesome 48 hours! No hurry for once so took my time, and got lucky with the weather. I camped out just north of Watson Lake where the Cassiar Route meets the main Alaska Highway route. Then a leisurely drive to Laird Hot Springs, which I have wanted to stop at last few trips but always was at the wrong time. Got there at 11am so checked in for an overnight stay and just plain relaxed. Took a couple good soaks in the hot springs - perfect for wore out prospecting muscles! Sat in the sun and read my book. Nice to not have an agenda for a day.

Then up next morning and on a photo tour. I must have stopped 50 times and took a couple hundred photos. Good thing I was alone because it would have driven a passenger nuts unless they wanted to take photos also. If you catch it right the scenery between Watson Lake and Fort Nelson is really world class, and the wildlife viewing opportunities superb.

9pm at Fort St. John as I post this, going to go on a few hours. Not much to see really after Ft. Nelson but got some great grizzly shots I will post tomorrow. Have to load them to my iPad and did not do it before I got into McDonalds but the following from the last couple days will suffice for now I think.

Click on the images below for larger versions

post-1-0-31221000-1407124534_thumb.jpg

Little Blackie

post-1-0-37542100-1407124551_thumb.jpg

Little Brownie

post-1-0-79792600-1407124570_thumb.jpg

Whirlpool Canyon

post-1-0-88926600-1407171200_thumb.jpg

Laird Hot Springs

post-1-0-47183300-1407124624_thumb.jpg

Wood Bison

post-1-0-89276900-1407124641_thumb.jpg