See That Nugget Before Digging It - Minelab Dual Sensor Detector With Gpr

Love seeing the innovation, but I think nugget hunters can count this one out for now. Unless you are hunting gold boulders.

GPR resolution is pretty slim. The crux of the problem is that higher resolution requires higher frequencies - and higher frequencies experience greater attentuation in soils, which means less depth. You can throw more power at the problem but then you end up with a cart mounted solution because more power=more weight.

So basically, if you want to hunt for landmine size nuggets then you may be in luck, but even an oz'er the size of my thumb would be pretty hard to recognize on any kind of affordable GPR. Or square nails, etc. Also, GPR requires careful gridding and slow movement, and a lot of them require post-processing on a computer at home too, I'm not sure how accurate this would be swung on the end of a stick with instant results.

Still. Never ceases to amaze me that a scrappy little country like Australia so consistently outperforms the US in the detector innovation arena despite our much larger population, much (MUCH) larger military budget, and the best engineering/science schools in the world. Stay hungry fellas, "good on ya". The fat cat gets complacent and I'm glad someone is out there catching mice still while US businesses would rather search for the next Hoffman than the next Candy.

• Like 5

jasong I think you nailed it, for ML and innovation and us prospectors, Mr. Candy is the key, we`ll keep him you can have the Hoffmans.  Hopefully he is also successful in ensuring his genius and vision carries on.

• Like 1

Haha yeah I mean it in a good way. :biggrin: Scrappy was the little dog in Scooby Doo who would just go directly fight whatever monster they encountered by himself instead of making excuses or running away like Scooby did.

scrappy-doo_124281a_2237.gif

• Like 2

Big Brother meanie, picking on us downunder, we`ll learn ya..........:unsure: Crikey AuM, ya got Jasong backtracking bigtime. Good Scrappin Fun.

Dang. I was having a good day until I read Js post .GPR isn't going to work for nuggets. now I'm horribly depressed.

However It appears WWIII has been narrowly avoided and that makes me feel a little better.

• Like 1

VALLON makes a detector with GPR. My friend at VALLON said he could get me one for around $25,000.00. I got the Tarsacci instead, hahahahaha.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...