DIY Gold Detector

Yes I have. I used 18" of coat hanger wire, bent  90 degrees at 6". It swung around toward my gold tooth and poked me in the eye.

The above  is an official Klunkers' Welcome To The Forum.

Years ago an outfit called Heathkit sold one but I have never heard of any other home built. If any body on the planet knows of one it will be Mr. Herschbach.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Steve Herschbach said:

I have not but the place to be if you are interested is http://www.geotech1.com/cgi-bin/pages/common/index.pl?page=metdet&file=projects.dat

If you're serious, strongly consider buying these guys' (George Overton and Carl Moreland = Geotech) book titled Inside the Metal Detector ($29 online).  I don't like to make superlative statements in general and especially about things I'm not expert in, but if there is a book on the subject that is even close to this one I'll be surprised.  There are a handful of do-it-yourself detectors here and they tell you *why* they work on top of it.  Even if you're not looking to DIY (I'm not) this book is easily worth more than the online price.

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, GB_Amateur said:

If you're serious, strongly consider buying these guys' (George Overton and Carl Moreland = Geotech) book titled Inside the Metal Detector ($29 online).  I don't like to make superlative statements in general and especially about things I'm not expert in, but if there is a book on the subject that is even close to this one I'll be surprised.  There are a handful of do-it-yourself detectors here and they tell you *why* they work on top of it.  Even if you're not looking to DIY (I'm not) this book is easily worth more than the online price.

I also have a copy of the book 'Inside the Metal Detector' a very indepth read and for the most part all the information goes over my head,but can understand the logic behind most of what is written.Both the writers of the book are in the top league in detecting design and knowledge.

On a different note,i own one of the original Crossbow classic PI machines built by George Overton,only 13 original machines have ever been built,he is the co writer of the above book.So these detectors are very rare machines.

• Like 2