TDI Troubles In The Park - Help

EMoss#83

I followed all the coin settings per Steve and others on the Internet ( high conductivity ,GB on 4 then 1.5, gain max, 10 s,) and she still sings on nails and everything else , I was getting signals on almost every swing, it was not silencing any iron like the videos by the southern fella, I am just going for coins where I have already hit with the mxt. Help please 

G'day Emoss,

conductivity high, FGB 1/2, GB 4, Gain 4-5, PD 10' try that.

sweep 2" above the ground but only dig round signals' ( targets that sound the same from all angles) ignore the rest unless your cleaning out an area, otherwise iron and trashy signals give different sounds when you sweep from different angles.

a smaller single field mono works the best, Iv found that I can cherry pick Aussie $1-$2 coins with miner johns 7x11 DD coil, not many coin machines around that can do this effectively' but the conductivity of our coins will be different to other parts of the world, also the setting that works for me may not for you but just experiment a little'

id say your gain was way too high' no more than half is all that's needed, and sweep off the ground a little to ignore tin foil etc.

when you do get a signal' sweep as you lift the coil up slowly' if the target abruptly disappears it's likely trash, if it becomes a nice smooth signal from all angles dig it!

easyier to show someone....but just dig a few different signals up to get an idea of what's going on, the first day will be the hardest.

• Like 1

I bought the TDI Pro predominately for deep hoard/relic hunting here in the UK,so i also geared up with a selection of larger than stock size coils,and this does work very well and of course the occasional use on the beach and a couple of highly mineralized inland sites that a normal VLF machines just wont work on.

The TDI does exactly as i wanted it for deep work,but when using it with smaller coils ie 7.5DF,MJ 9x5 folded mono and stock coils when i tried coin shooting and after say 6 months of trying,i came too the conclusion that although its possible it was not the best machine for the job,it was not a enjoyable experiance altering the setting to run smoothly and then decided that after making headway i would just carry on using it for hoard hunting and beach work,this excels at.

So basically for everyday use or coin shooting the VLF option was so much easier and also less stressful,the TDI does have uses and these days i just use the raw power and run it in straight PI mode,this then does everything that i want and basically what it is best suited for.

If i want real depth on say single coins or large deep items with real discrimination then i bring out the Nexus SE too play,that not only gives me the same depth as the TDI and possibly even deeper when using the dual 9'' coil but with real discrimination then its a no brainer which machine to use.

As Steve often quotes 'Use a VLF when you can and a PI when you must' i have come to the exact same conclusion,but only after using the TDI for detecting scenarios it was not designed for,it is a very adaptable machine but does have some limitations like any detector,so once you find out its limits or what it was not designed for then use it accordingly.But when you do use it for what it was designed for then its a pleasure to use.

Of course we all use a machine differently and i dont nugget hunt as i live in the UK,but it is the right tool for the job when hoard hunting in pasture land,then all it takes is one decent find which could pay for its keep many times over.

• Like 3

I agree Rick. The TDI coin trick thing is more an oddball quirk to play with for those that already own the machine. It negates the depth of the machine to use it set up like that and any VLF would do as well or better. The OP has probably already found everything with his MXT that the TDI with the "coin settings" might find. I have coin hunted for targets deeper than a VLF will reach by using the TDI with normal settings that retain depth and just dug the low tones only, isolated targets with no double beeps, just a nice round low tone. This will get some deep high conductor silver and copper coins but it only works where there are not lots of deep nails. We do have some parks here that are not full of nails. For most locations and coin hunting scenarios though a good VLF is the preferred option.

• Like 4

I have been using the TDI this year at a old local park and had great success in finding old Indian Heads, Wheat's and silver dimes. I'm using the 7.5 Dual Field coil and cherry picking the deep targets by the type of audio sound that is heard vs the audio sound on a surface targets. With the 7.5 Dual Field coil I am detecting targets that a MXT, V3i and XP Deus, which are using larger coils and unable to detect the same target.The only drawback is a high conductor trash target or iron wire/ nail will sound good at deep depths. This park was consider hunted out, year to date: four Indian Head, one hundred thirty-nine Wheats, four Barber dimes and sixteen Mercury. Still learning the capabilities of what the TDI has to offer. The key to this detector is patience, patience, and more patience but the the rewards are worth it.

• Like 4

11 hours ago, Glenn in CO said:

I have been using the TDI this year at a old local park and had great success....

Very impressive finds (139 Wheats, etc.)!  All I saw in your post was 'TDI' -- which model?

Also, if you don't mind, are you able to reject the old ring-tab (sometimes with beaver tail still attached) or do you end up digging them?  Those can be deep since last made in 1975.  I find way more of those than steel (beer) bottle caps, the new 'square' tabs, and aluminum screw caps combined.  (That's with my VLF's, but I do have a TDI/SPP which I got for hunting native gold in areas with large hot rock populations but I'm not averse to using it in parks, especially after reading about your successes.)

7 hours ago, GB_Amateur said:

Very impressive finds (139 Wheats, etc.)!  All I saw in your post was 'TDI' -- which model?

Also, if you don't mind, are you able to reject the old ring-tab (sometimes with beaver tail still attached) or do you end up digging them?  Those can be deep since last made in 1975.  I find way more of those than steel (beer) bottle caps, the new 'square' tabs, and aluminum screw caps combined.  (That's with my VLF's, but I do have a TDI/SPP which I got for hunting native gold in areas with large hot rock populations but I'm not averse to using it in parks, especially after reading about your successes.)

My TDI is one of the first 200 production made ( called through the hole ) detectors. Timing has been modify to go below the 10s. I reject or don't hear most pulltabs, bottlecaps or screw caps because of the deep targets that I'm searching for. If the target is good or bad and is at a depth of six inches or more I will dig it. The pulltabs being in the nickel range are rejected regardless if they are on the surface or deep because of GEB setting will discriminate them out. In fact you can cherry pick good targets in pulltab infested areas. The TDI you will hear many targets on or near the surface that should be rejected and the way around that is to raise the coil height above the target. If the target goes away it is a rejected target based on the GEB setting, If it is a good target the sound will not go away. The TDI loves nails or wire regardless of depth, though they are sometimes difficult to locate because the coil will not pinpoint them accurately. If you take a good target ( coin, etc.) and place it on the surface and swing the coil over the target you will notice the sound will be much louder and broader than if you raise the coil six inches or more over the same target, that is the sound you want hear. I know i miss a lot of good targets that are on the surface down to five inch range and also anything in the nickel range, but that is the trade off for finding older coins.

• Like 2

Glenn's tuned in.

only problem target I find for me is aluminium screw caps....most other targets I can tell the sound and ignore them'  Dam aluminium screw caps sound good even at depth' most you can poke the screwdriver through them to disc them out as there soft but the deeper ones need to be dug.

we have a little copper 1cent coin here a bit over 1/2" diameter and Iv dug them down to 9-10" The council don't really apreciate people wondering around with a spade in our parks.... Amazing how many of them Iv dug in a hammed park.

it takes a pocket full to learn what not to dig but when you do it is quite an amazing machine for hitting coins.

these are my recent coin finds,

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Wow thanks for all the help guys, much better second time out after hours in my backyard. Dug 3 deep coins and knew they were coins, it's all about the tones with no screen to stare at. Still digging deep rusty nails that I swear are coins, and dug a railroad spike at 13 inches, lots of fun

• Like 3