Coin Found Detecting In Indiana River

My 1st silver coin in 10 years and found with an ancient Detector Pro Headhunter Diver VLF detector in  a

bedrock bottom river in Indiana. My friend pinpointed it with the Whites TRW waterproof

pinpointer in a small divot in the bedrock. He had to use electrolysis and Limeaway to get the crud off.

We are pretty sure its an 1873 Seated dime.

Hmm, my photo seems to have disappeared??

14291820_282909638761331_104161019121353

• Like 8

Very nice find.  I'm curious about the weight.  According to The Redbook when minted this had a mass of 2.5 g.  Can you put it on a scale and see how much is left?  In my part of Indiana the copper coins get dissolved pretty badly from (I'm guessing) acid in the soil.  I didn't expect silver to suffer the same fate.  This holds true for Cu pennies caught in creek bedrock cracks.  Of course coins wear when in general circulation so the difference from 2.5 g is only going to be an upper limit on how much material was lost in the river.

My friend had to use electrolysis to clean the crud off the coin plus a bath in Limeaway. It can't be 1813 as the seated coins were not around back then and it can't be 1913 as that would be a Barber dime. That only leaves 1873 as our best guess. Another coin we got sure looks like gold but my coin dealer says it is copper even tho it sure looks yellow. I will try the Limeaway on it this week. A 2nd silver dime and a tiny padlock/locket ( not sure which)  were in another bedrock crevice plus a bunch of nails.

Just glad I had a tetanus shot booster a few years ago as I got stabbed in the fingertip by a nail.