Makro Gold Racer Help. New Detectorist Here.

Hi friends. Greg here in Maine. So I've been gold panning and dredging here in maine for a few years now and decided to get a detector for use and fun when I'm not in the mountains and to use up there as well. Ended up buying a Makro gold racer as most of the gold here in maine is small and supposed the GR can hint other stuff as well. In all metal mode the IVD numbers seem to bounce around a lot. Is this normal? I'm having a hard time telling if there is a target or if it's mineralization.....

5 minutes ago, vanursepaul said:

Have you ground balanced?

Turn sensitivity down a little..

There's more..... see if that works and calms it down

I've pushes the trigger forward and pumped to try ground like the manual says. It beeps as per the manual as well.

Hi Usaflaginmaine,

When I first started out detecting, I read the manual many times and watched lots of you tube videos demonstrating the use of my detector, and then fine tuned my skills in the field.  If the target repeats, I dig it, period!

Brian.

• Like 2

Just now, Nevada Brian said:

Hi Usaflaginmaine,

When I first started out detecting, I read the manual many times and watched lots of you tube videos demonstrating the use of my detector, and then fine tuned my skills in the field.  If the target repeats, I dig it, period!

Brian.

Good call on the YouTube videos. I've read the manual s few times but being a new detectorist i don't totally understand some of what my machine does. I'll definitely be watching some videos. Thanks for the suggestion.

• Like 1

Ok...now you got Steve on it....

Listen to him and you will love using your MGR..... I can tell you when I get a good target and what it is 80% of the time..when I'm coin hunting. I love it for that..

I gotta get it over some gold tho... Although rings with diamonds on them would work too

• Like 1

Greg,

It just takes a little time to get to know the GR. Search this forum for the best available information anywhere, and do not hesitate to write to the authors of posts that resonate with you. Spend some time playing with it, read some more, then use what you learn. Rinse and repeat. The GR is actually quite easy to use once you get the hang of it, and is about the best available gold vlf in my view. It will be a little more challenging to learn if it is your first detector, but practice will get it done.

All metal will always be noisier than discrimination, but that noise carries information that is useful.