MX Sport User Thread

gambler

In this thread users share tips, tricks and settings to get the most out of this detector. Complain elsewere!:smile:

Ok. I'd like to start, but I'm a rookie. So, power users, share away.

• Like 1

well at rye patch, I started out in relic mode, with vco off and audiomod off. sat at 6. after an hour or so, and finding no trash! I switched to all metal. I don't really understand vco or audiomod, so I'm not using them untill I do.:smile:

This is slightly off topic but same family of detectors, when I use my MXT Pro at Rye Patch I run in Relic mode with two tones and just a tad of disc maybe 1/2 to 1 on the disc dial. Much more stable than prospect mode and works for me. That chirp it gives on good targets really gets my attention.

In my opinion the MX Sport is more closely related to the MX5 than any MXT variants. Though there are similarities in mode names and settings they really are different detectors, and what works on an MXT may or may not work well on an MX Sport. People with MXT experience may be at a disadvantage with the MX Sport as far as expectations. My advice is just treat the MX Sport as a totally new detector.

• Like 1

Sensitivity pro tip (that goes across all models) - Don't just run straight to maximum sensitivity. You will hear every chirp and squeal on the tiniest bits of metal. Even at 4-6 SENS you have great depth and target id.

DISC pro tip - Discrimination has uses in all modes, not just coin and jewelry. Prospecting, all-metal --- USE IT. It won't silence the VCO audio but it will keep the VDI numbers off of your screen for rejected ranges. Great for trashy sites where you want to hear everything but have some target ID to help make the choice "to dig or not to dig."

Swing speed pro tip - The MX Sport (with the updated firmware) is one of the fastest machines I have swung (yes, even compared to the Deus). Walk slow, swing fast unless you are using a lot of SAT.

SAT pro tip -  use only what you need. Can mask out small items and decrease depth.

Ground balance pro tip - Automatic is fine, but in challenging situations like salt or varying degrees of mineralization I prefer LOCKED.

• Like 3

When I first got my MX Sport and I found out the trouble that everyone else was reporting. My detector made a lot of trips to White's for the first trouble and then the face cover. What I got from White's was always the offer of help and I never heard the word no.

The reason I haven't reported anything about the MX is because it's just been too hot here. I've gotten out some but not to the point I really know my detector. On the little time I have used it ,it has been enjoyable.

You may ask why I'd go out and buy the XP deus if I like the MX so much. Sometimes I buy a detector not replace another but Just because I don't have it.

Us big kids like new toys too!

Chuck

My detector made a lot of trips to White's for the first trouble and then the face cover. What I got from White's was always the offer of help and I never heard the word no. -- Ridge Runner

Good to hear first hand experience about the first edition MX Sport. Also good to hear That White's did what they are required to do. That is important on a machine such as yours that required a lot of trips to White's. It is becoming known as the " send 'er in " machine  and will probably continue to be as many more are out there.