Detech 13" Ultimate Coil For White's MX Sport

57 minutes ago, Daniel Tn said:

The MX Sport has quickly became one of my favorite VLF machines.

The 7 inch DD is my favorite coil on it.  You wont believe this but I also have a CTX 3030 that I had the 6 inch and stock coil for.  In my ground, the MX Sport with 7 inch coil, will out perform the CTX 3030 in depth and ID capability.  I know that sounds like a tall tale but it is true.  This is on real world relic and coin hunting targets; lots of hours testing for my own use and knowledge.  It is one incredible combo with 7 inch coil.  The 10 inch is okay but the 7 inch really makes that machine shine.  I've not tried the 13 Ultimate or the 950 concentric.  Generally, my ground is too bad for the concentric coils to do much good in.  The 6x10 coil, I just sold mine.  I like the 7 inch better; the main complaint about the 6x10 is that it floated in the water.  I also feel the 7 inch was deeper than it too.  The only place I have found thus far that the CTX will beat the MX Sport is on the salt water beaches.  The MX Sport can do OK in the wet sand but not as good as the CTX and the MX Sport will want to overload in the fast moving water too unless you back the gain way down.  On the dry sand, the two are about equal in depth but I do feel the CTX gives the edge there in ID capability on trash items.  My bad ground changes all that though. In it, the CTX tends to call things iron that aren't iron...coins past 6 inches will start to read in the bottom right corner of the screen. On the MX Sport, they ID much better.  

Its amazing that a unit much lower in cost can perform equal or nearly equal to a unit far more costly. That is white's history. Maybe not always the first out. But they get you 90% of minelabs tools in most cases, and better than minelabs tools in other cases, at a fraction of the cost. What would be interesting as i noted in my wishes is to update the V for professionals into a rugged waterproof case. I think this would take out as the 3030 as the prime unit in the market. Not to mention that unit is heavy compared to a unit you could chest mount. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Jackpine said:

Something similar to the Fisher X series and CZ's.  Solid epoxy and bullet proof.  I have thousands of hours in the water with them on Fisher machines with not one failure.

yah a spider coil with solid neutral bouncy epoxy like the detech DD coils. Sounds a like a needed coil that i would want as well.

I am not surprised the MXS gives the CTX a serious run for the money in the worst ground. A well designed single frequency generally has a bit more punch, which is why nearly all prospectors use single frequency units. My ground is similar to Daniels - some testing with various VLF detectors in the last week were getting about 5" depth in the "good" ground and in one of my "bad" locations a measured 3" depth to get a bare signal on a dime! 

I may get another MX Sport if White's changes something on the machine physically (new decal?) to differentiate them from existing units.

• Like 1

Oh it's not just a run for the money...it's an all out, not-even-close thrashing. LOL.  The ground I'm hunting in now is really not all that hot; the CTX suggested sensitivity settings are normally 19-22 so I would call that mild ground. Now I have had it in places where it didn't suggest but a setting of 8 or so.  In those, even the MX Sport struggles in disc mode and the pulse machines do the thrashing.  It takes all metal or prospecting mode to open the MXS up in that kind of ground.  The CTX can be ran open screen but doesn't really have a true all metal based search mode.  Enabling the GB control on it doesn't help much either.  The truth here is, my deepest coin I have in my test garden is a 10 inch silver dime.  Most VLFs can't make a peep on it.  The CTX with stock 11 inch coil will give an occasional signal on it if you are directly over top of it, and that is with manual sensitivity at near max, and even then, you wouldn't dig it if you were just chasing those perfect 12 line signals in the 30 to mid 40 CO range.  The MXS will get it with the 10 inch coil no problem, even with the sensitivity throttled back to half way, and give a pretty decent ID on it.  I can't get the dime with the 7 inch coil attached like I can with the stock coil...but it can do just as good as the CTX with stock coil...barely a signal if you know where it's at, and scattered ID.

In the relic world, it is really no contest in favor big time of the MXS.  From November up to now, I have been hunting with them both pretty hard and will continue to do so...especially now that our drought is over with several inches of rain over the last few weeks.  It is very tiresome lugging 2, and sometimes 4 machines into the field and woods....hunting with one, marking signals, and then testing the others over those signals.  You don't get to dig a whole lot but what you learn from testing with real world targets can be invaluable.    There were quite a few signals that turned out to be keeper Civil War relics, that only the TDI and the MXS could detect.  

If it weren't for needing a good machine for the beach, I would let the CTX go and not miss it much. It is a very neat machine; capable of a lot of cool things with the tone bins, customizing the sounds to the user's liking, etc.  Even still, I am half tempted to sell it and just buy an Excalibur II and still have a dandy beach machine, and pocket the rest of money.  For relics and such, the MXS and TDI combo are hard to beat machines from Whites.  I am anxious to try the TDI out at the beach too....haven't done that yet. For all I know, it may be all I need for jewelry hunting.  Just flip it to low conductor and go at it.  

• Like 2

On 12/17/2016 at 11:38 AM, Steve Herschbach said:

I am not surprised the MXS gives the CTX a serious run for the money in the worst ground. A well designed single frequency generally has a bit more punch, which is why nearly all prospectors use single frequency units. My ground is similar to Daniels - some testing with various VLF detectors in the last week were getting about 5" depth in the "good" ground and in one of my "bad" locations a measured 3" depth to get a bare signal on a dime! 

I may get another MX Sport if White's changes something on the machine physically (new decal?) to differentiate them from existing units.

Steve - you can snag one of these 2 units left and save a bit (and also be sure the machines are up to date). MX Sport has become our top-seller since we fixed everything... Thanks to feedback on various forums like DP and the NASA one.

https://www.whiteselectronics.com/product/mx-sport-refurb/

There is a good deal for somebody Tom, along with some other refurbs, thanks for posting. As I said, I will not be looking at the MX Sport again unless a physical change is made to the unit to differentiate brand new machines from existing units on the market. I am glad to hear it is selling well for you guys - Merry Christmas!

• 2 weeks later...

Well for what it's worth I've ordered the 7in. Detech DD coil for my Mx Sport. People on here has said how good this coil is so I'm going to find out for myself.

This coil may be so hot I may have to stand behind a tree just to turn my detector on.

Chuck

• Like 2